Click here if you are having website access problems ×

16" split rim wheels - HPC

Mavic82

So I like the 16" HPC wheels. If set up right drive great and IMHO look great to. The problem is they weigh to much.

So I will be speaking to Harry at Image about making some lighter split rim replicas. Anyone else interested as it may reduce the part price?

Cheers

Guy

• Area Representative

Definitely . . . as I love the style too, as you know 😬

I only deserted mine for the Caterham 15" wheels due to a lack of available soft rubber for them.

Now that you can get super soft Toyo T1-R and T1-T tyres for them I'd definitely be up for this to get my beloveds back on Beryl.

• Leadership Team

Surely they'd be better in 15" though to maintain the better handling and availability of tyres *confused*

Or 13" .... a split rim 5 spoke with a Caterham locking full centre cap would be fantastic *thumbup* It could be loosely referred to as an SLR 5-Spoke *tongue*

Stu.

• Area Representative

I have both MB Split Rims and some Image split rims, both around about the same size in width and 13" and the MB wheels are so much lighter, although the centres are magnesium. Worth getting him to give you a figure for how much lighter they are going to be.

Nick

• Area Representative

There are two versions of the MB wheels, the later version is a different casting and as far as I am aware has not failed. Both versions look similar but the thickness of the castings are different and there is the initials MB cast into the newer stronger design.

Nick

• Area Representative

Quoting sforshaw: 
Surely they'd be better in 15" though to maintain the better handling and availability of tyres *confused*

Or 13" . . . a split-rim 5 spoke with a Caterham locking full centre cap would be fantastic *thumbup* It could be loosely referred to as an SLR 5-Spoke *tongue*

Stu.

But then this becomes just one more wheel that would fit on a Caterham?

I think the reason that Guy raised this about the existing 16" HPC wheel (and he and I have chatted a lot about this) is because the wheel exists already and has a beautiful simplicity & elegance to it, as well as filling the rear (and front) arches so nicely.

This could easily have been posted in the Bulk Buys folder to sound people out on a lighter split rim 16" HPC replica wheel, although it was interesting reading yours and Nick's comments above as I welcome anything that leads to the lightest 16" wheel possible when all the options are looked at. 😬

Edited by - gileshudson on 15 Aug 2013 13:17:11

• Leadership Team

My 13" was more a tongue in cheek comment ... the HPC, SLR and Prisoner wheels are all from a similar era and all had the full wheel centre that hid the wheel nuts, the SLR and HPC both being simple 5-spoke wheels but in vastly different sizes.

However ..... IMHO sticking to a 16" will undoubtedly limit demand with a 15" resulting in far more interest. At one time I did run my (old) car on HPC wheels but would avoid doing so now.

Stu.

Guys,

I want to avoid the debate of handling between wheel sizes. If a car is set up to work with a given wheel size it will work well. You need different geometry, spring rates and damping you can not just unbolt one and bolt on another and expect it to work. I would not change from 16's, if I really had to I would go to 15's but I simply do not like the feel (or look of 13') my car drives and handles very well on 16's and with the toyo r1-r sticky rubber is not an issue.

So anyway if you are interested let me know, if 15's are also of interest I will take note for those to.

I will check the weight issue as this is the main point of the change to reduce mass and inertia.

Regards

Guy

You could always go for wire wheels *smile*

Turrino Wire Wheels

I have been meaning to talk to Will and Ken (father-in-law) about weights, since they hold the patent for split rim wire wheels. Means you can use Ali outer with Steel centres. I am wondering if with such a light car if they could make a lightweight special (fewer spokes) for a seven. alot of what they build is for racing and they pretty much can build anything people ask of them...Split Rims are great as it makes it very easy to build different widths of wheel...

Because of the unsprung weight advantage ( fuel economy) we were talking about putting a set on my BMW as a test mule. I'll have a chat with Ken at the weekend and get a set of scales out... *biggrin* and see if maybe they can do a seven set for testing....worth a try!! *wink*

Does anyone have a list of standard weights for the Caterham 13"/15"/16" wheels plus the Mags, without tyres...?

David M

Edited by - GF04RCE on 16 Aug 2013 07:48:06

Wheels Wheel Tyre Both

Road

13x6 Minilight / 021R 185 60 13 @ 4mm 5.2 6.7 11.9

13x6 Minilight / 032R 185 60 13 @ 4mm 5.2 6.7 11.9

13x7 Minilight / 021R 205 60 13 @ 4mm 6.2 8 14.2

16x7 HPC wheels / Michelin 205 45 16 8 8.5 16.5

13x6 Revolution / Vrestein 185 60 13 @4.5mm 6 8 14

13x6 Revolution / Colway 185 60 13 @4mm 6 8.5 14.5

Race

13x6.5 Revolution / 7" 22 race wet 4.4 5.4 9.8

13x6.0 Revolution / 6" 21 race wet 4.35 4.4 8.75

13x6.5 R500 / Caterham Avon 20 7 13 slick (4mm) 3.2 4 7.2

13x8.5 Mad'in / Caterham Avon 20 9 13 slick (3mm) 4 4.4 8.4

13x7 Minilight / Caterham Avon 20 7 13 slick (4mm) 6.2 4.8 11

13x6 Minilight / Caterham Avon 20 7 13 slick (4mm) 5.2 4.8 10

• 3 weeks later...

I have spoken to Image. Standard prices for a 16" billet split rim is around £340 per wheel.

They have two wheels in their current range that are quite similar already so i am planning a visit in a few weeks to see them in the flesh and see whether these match with minor changes or whether a new design would be required. If that were the case I suspect the cost may increase but will know more then.

Will advise when I have further info