Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which tyre to replace CR500

rj

As I've heard that the Avon CR500 has been changed, and is no longer as good for track use as it used to be I'd appreciate advice on which tyres to use from now on for R400 and up, mainly for track, but also the odd road trip, hence something road legal is needed.

ZZRs overheat after a few laps ☹️

TIA

Regin

I replaced my 15" cr500s with toyo 888s. Well the rear only as the fronts didn't fit under the arches. Bit of a bugger

I find the 888s gripper when hot. Not yet tried them on track or in the wet. Oh and they're quite a lot chalet

Here's a post I put on PH the other day about T1-Rs

A similar 'mid-performance' tyre is a Toyo T1-R. I been 'having a go' with these recently, in R15 195 50, on my Duratec powered SV and they are fine for the price (£220 fitted for four back in Feb). In theory, they have too stiff a side wall for something as light as a 7, but as my car (and myself...) is at the heavier end...

They are much better than ZV3s (not hard I know) and the grip on the rear seems similar to the Kumho Ecsta SPs I had before. They have done a day at Curborough and at Cadwell and seemed to cope fine, although clearly they are not as good as more track orientated rubber. I've also done 3k road miles with them and there is not much wear so far. No problems in the wet either.

I think my current plan is to buy some 13 inch wheels to put some sticker tyres on for track days, and then get some 'better' road rubber (e.g. R1-R or CR500) to see if the extra cost vs performance on the road is worth the extra over the T1-Rs, bearing in mind I won't care about track use.

Quoting skydragon: 
Quoting skydragon:

Quote:

ZZRs overheat after a few laps sad smiley

which compound of ZZR?

I thinkt there is only one compound available, but could be mistaken.

No, two ZZR compounds. Super Soft and Medium.

Not from CC at least - have just checked with Darren.

If you are overheating ZZRs in the A60 (race/road compound) you need to check your suspension set up is correct for these tyres,They do need lots of neg. Speak to BMTR 01213311122 motorsport division for set up advice they have it.

Start at 16psi cold all round and if you drive it hard enough they will come up to operate correctly at 21 psi

They do go through a warm up cycle at around 3/5 miles in on full chat. Once through that which happens very fast and last for a couple of miles then they are very very consistant, And as sweet as a sweet thing can be for our 40 min races.

Edited by - 2GBR on 13 Aug 2013 14:04:46

Quoting 2GBR: 
If you are overheating ZZRs in the A60 (race/road compound) you need to check your suspension set up is correct for these tyres,They do need lots of neg. Speak to BMTR 01213311122 motorsport division for set up advice they have it.

Start at 16psi cold all round and if you drive it hard enough they will come up to operate correctly at 21 psi

They do go through a warm up cycle at around 3/5 miles in on full chat. Once through that which happens very fast and last for a couple of miles then they are very very consistant, And as sweet as a sweet thing can be for our 40 min races.

Edited by - 2GBR on 13 Aug 2013 14:04:46

Might have been running them on too high pressure as I end on 22psi. I am fairly confident that the set up is OK as the temperature across the tyres is very consistent.

What sort of power does your car have?

RJ This R400 is around 210bhp on a good day, So not as powerfull as many so prob suits the ZZR rather than kumho

Skydragon At least 3 or 4 x 40min races and 3 qualli sessions, then that set is used for test days/track days so at least another 3 full days use. Infact the rears will last out two sets off fronts.