Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superchargers

mecacy

Hi Dennis,

What level of performance are you looking for? If you're looking for something over about 280bhp then the costs start to get expensive. The engine needs uprated components, then there's the cost of the super charger, then there's the cost of the installation work (inter cooler, pipe work and cooling system), then there's the cost of a programmable ECU.

I've built normally aspirated 2.3's for customers for the road with 270bhp and they've scared themselves as soon as they've driven it. How much power do Caterham owners really need and can they really handle it? In fact that could be a good subject for a new thread!!

Regards

SKC *wavey*

SKC, good thread to start on how much power.... CC have been steadily pushing up the power to weight ratio but for road use and then for track, how far could you go with the chassis and traction of the Seven ( not from a tuning perspective) looking at only BHP.

For example i have always had a niggle in the back of my mind about putting a Porsche flat six into the engine bay of a Seven, why, i have no idea, would it be work, I have no idea, Would a Seven powered by Porsche be 😬 oh yes!! but you could be looking at 400+ bhp which the chassis, wheels and aero may never handle.... Anyway will leave you to do the honours of starting it as it was your idea *smile*

What if you put engine X in car Y is just one of the best general conversations to draw you into a crazy project? *wink*

David M

P.s Sorry to hijack thread... *redface*

Quoting SKC: 
Hi Dennis,

What level of performance are you looking for? If you're looking for something over about 280bhp then the costs start to get expensive. The engine needs uprated components, then there's the cost of the super charger,

Regards

SKC *wavey*

SKC

so if you wanted a 270-280 bhp supercharged 2.0D what would need uprating inside? Would it need porting to get to that power? are std pistons ok?

J

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 11 Aug 2013 14:41:19

from the brief look I had at installing a duratec a few years ago I think the concensus vas very little;-

the bottom end is up to the job at that power level (keyed crank maybe required)

the head is very good as std and with forced induction less of an issue than na

I seem to remember that circa 250 needed nothing doing to the 'engine' at all, when looking at na engines chasing bigger figures needs more flow from the head and most importantly beefing the bottom end to go over 8000 rpm as you need the extra revs to get more than about 250bhp, with a supercharger you dont need the revs.

I think (though am not certain) that the 300R & 620R are virtually stock bottom ends.

A search of Ammo's threads will enlighten you further, also worth a look at project YOB on here which was pushing about 340 from a duratec from memory.

It's a fun exercise, I'm still toying with a big power K series ???

Hi Menacy and Jason,

Thanks for your replies to this thread. I have spent a lot of time and money developing my business and the products that we sell.

I am sure you will therefore understand that I am not going to print on this or any other forum the specifications or components used to achieve the performance levels we market. I am however more than willing to accept orders from each of you should you wish to purchase products from us.

Regards

SKC *wavey*

If you intend to supercharge an engine to produce significantly more power then you will need to reduce the compression ratio. This is usually done by changing the pistons. Most engines don't need much else done to them as the stresses on the bottom end (i.e. rods and crank) are mostly generated by high RPM, and you don't need more revs on a supercharged engine. You also don't need a porting job, big valves or a cam change, so that keeps the cost down.

Quoting SKC: 
Hi Menacy and Jason,

Thanks for your replies to this thread. I have spent a lot of time and money developing my business and the products that we sell.

I am sure you will therefore understand that I am not going to print on this or any other forum the specifications or components used to achieve the performance levels we market. I am however more than willing to accept orders from each of you should you wish to purchase products from us.

Regards

SKC *wavey*

Maybe it's just me but I'm not too impressed by that post. This is a club forum where members help members and topics are put up for discussion just like menacy did. You then post on the thread in a way that tells everyone you are in business doing this stuff. And then when someone asks what needs changing inside the engine you act as if this is some sort of black art and you are the only one who has ever bolted a Rotrex to a Duratec. It's a club forum you know, not a shop window.

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 12 Aug 2013 00:46:16

Totally agree Jason their are loads of company's out there Supercharging the Duratec there really is no great secret a set of lower comp Pistons and may be a set of steel Rods.

Mr SKC you need to get off your high horse i understand your after business but over the years there have been many a Engine Builder posting on this forum who have given insight into their Engine Components, Ammo & Dave Andrews are just two i can mention your not doing your self any favors with that attitude.

Edited by - BSA on 12 Aug 2013 07:11:09

Edited by - BSA on 12 Aug 2013 08:50:26

Edited by - BSA on 12 Aug 2013 08:53:53

I have a 305 bhp Supercharged Duratec set up in my CSR, which now has 4000 miles under her crank.

If any of you would seriously like an overall view of it please contact me.

As for how much bhp is too much, that very much depends on the whole set up of the car

- and the capability of the driver!

I will add that the delivery of the power via the Supercharger is very linear, and in the correct hands makes for a very capable GT vehicle.

A very rewarding car to drive, both progressively as I do, and for my wife to enjoy taking the wheel on shared driving trips.

Bob

Quoting Jason Fletcher: 
Quoting SKC: 
Hi Menacy and Jason,

Regards

SKC *wavey*

Maybe it's just me but I'm not too impressed by that post. This is a club forum where members help members and topics are put up for discussion just like menacy did. You then post on the thread in a way that tells everyone you are in business doing this stuff. And then when someone asks what needs changing inside the engine you act as if this is some sort of black art and you are the only one who has ever bolted a Rotrex to a Duratec. It's a club forum you know, not a shop window.

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 12 Aug 2013 00:46:16

+1

Quoting RFF: 
I have a 305 bhp Supercharged Duratec set up in my CSR, which now has 4000 miles under her crank.

If any of you would seriously like an overall view of it please contact me.

As for how much bhp is too much, that very much depends on the whole set up of the car

- and the capability of the driver!

I will add that the delivery of the power via the Supercharger is very linear, and in the correct hands makes for a very capable GT vehicle.

A very rewarding car to drive, both progressively as I do, and for my wife to enjoy taking the wheel on shared driving trips.

Bob

Having had the absolute total pleasure to have had a drive in Bobs car *wavey* Hi Bob all i can say re the performance and linear power is that it is totally awesome, And would i like a supercharged Duratec *thumbup*

• Area Representative

I'll support SKC.

He/SheThey have developed their approach and spent money on making it work. Good for them. *thumbup*. If you want their solution go and talk with them.

If you want to do it yourself, that is also great. You can benefit from loking at what other people have done but you will have to work out some bits for yourself. You may understand the calculations which need to be done or you can read up on the subject and get your calculator out. You can read the spec sheets and interpret which bits are important for your engine and work from there. (I don't know the required details and would get some one to do it for me).