Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec injection

Peter Mears

I am considering upgrading from 40s to injection on my silver top zetec.

I am really keen to keep the retro look so would want to retain the KN filters. I run a raceline manifold.

Apart from the new tank I know I will need does anyone have experience on what throttle bodies to go with and also ecu would be best.

The car runs a kent Z2002 cam as present and I'm not in the hunt for huge power gains but a better driving experience the injection should provide.

Have read a few bits on the web but need real world feedback from BC.

Also a suggestion of who could take this on fairly local to the midlands.

Ta Pete

Hi Peter,

When I converted from Carbs to TBs I opted for the Jenvey DCOE TBs which are designed to be a direct replacement for the carbs and these will simply bolt on to the Raceline water rail.

I opted to go for an Emerald K6 ECU and purchased all the necessary bits as a package from Emerald. I found Emerald an absolute pleasure to deal with and didn't feel any 'hard sell' attitude. Also they are very good at after sales support.

I originally wanted to keep my K&Ns from the 40s, but as I had elected to go for Emeralds adjustable length intakes I found that the filters wouldn't fit over them, hence my foam filters. I'm sure that you should be able to find suitable trumpets to fit the K&Ns though.

Also it's not absolutely necessary to change your fuel tank, there are plenty of people running carb tanks with an injection system. But you will need to buy a high pressure fuel pump and swirl pot.

You'll not believe the difference between carbs and TBs on the same engine (you'll probably find some extra horse too 😬), not least driveability and smoothness....

Quoting Aeroscreens: 
Hi Peter,

When I converted from Carbs to TBs I opted for the Jenvey DCOE TBs which are designed to be a direct replacement for the carbs and these will simply bolt on to the Raceline water rail.

Is this some kind of water injection I have not heard about yet 😬

Weber Alpha systems seem very good, not user friendly but once set up by a agent there very reliable.

They come with all the hardware for the complete system.

Chris.

I would agree with Chris and recommend the Jenvey/emerald set up. I too purchased the complete kit from Emerald, it came with a map that got it running, then had it mapped at Emerald by Dave Walker.

Emerald are a pleasure to deal with, highly recommended.

Quoting Birkin S3 ZA.: 
Quoting Aeroscreens: 

Is this some kind of water injection I have not heard about yet 😬

Birkin, keep up over there, water injection in the new thing over here *tongue* *redface*

Edited by - Aeroscreens on 20 Jul 2013 19:24:59

So the K6 ECU conversion looks like the choice of many so far, its about £2000. Am i missing anything for the change or does the kit include all you would need. Also how difficult is the change over, Im not mechanically useless but no Edd china.

Thanks for the replies so far.

If you are sprinting at Curborough in August Chris I will say hi and have a look at your set up. Also hear it run.

Edited by - Peter Mears on 20 Jul 2013 19:28:08

Edited by - Peter Mears on 20 Jul 2013 19:28:27

When I converted neither the kits offered by Emerald were 100% suitable for our conversion but they will put together the relevant components for you as a 'kit'.

If interested I'll try to dig out all the info including my parts/cost sheet. Just Blatmail me your address Peter and i'll see what I can find.

Just watching some of Chris's sprinting vids and you can hear the difference pre and post injection.

Where do I sign.

Have resisted doing this upgrade for years as I thought it would ruin the old style of my car but after being in and listening to some fuel injected sevens its time. Also only get 18mpg when driving spiritedly 😬

Hello peter,

I conveted my blacktop about 2 years ago, using the Jenvey TBs and an Omex 600 ECU. I bought a package from Omex and they were happy to add/subtract bits to suit what I wanted to re-use from the carb setup.

The guys at Omex are really helpful, they even diagnosed a problem on my initial start up by asking me to take the phone into the garage and talking me through checks and listening to the engine running!!

The Omex can only run a single map, so not quite as sophisticated as the Emerald, but very easy to programme.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Ok time for a U turn. After a long chat with James W Ive decided to stick with the carbs and upgrade to 45s with 5 progression holes. I believe things have moved on since my car was converted in 2000 and the 45s will open up the full potential of the engine.

Its sounds like its fits the bill for me and my love of keeping the character of the car.

Any views on this set up 🤔

Peter,

I was on a pair 4 hole progression and it was ok but a bit stuttery at times. I splashed out on a new pair of 5 hole 45's from Webcon and the difference was remarkable. Running now very slightly rich at idle and yet the performance is excellent!

Well worth doing and for me, pleased to be able to keep the feel of carbs still 😬

Paul.

• 3 months later...

Well the deed is done. Just returned from Mr JW but with the car on the trailer. So I only had a short spin in her prior to hitting the road but I am pleased to say the transformation was incredible.

The first few hundred yards had me wondering what I had spent the money on and I believe this shows how well JW had set the car up all those years ago (2000)

Anyway hit a bit of clear road and pinned it and OMG I was grinning and whooping. The power comes in without hesitation and just keeps on giving all the way to the top. The engine now feels let loose and able to keep pulling with torque. Also the fantastic noise is just intoxicating.

So after just a few minutes of running you could say Im happy. Cant wait for a bit of time to take her out again. Happy 25th birthday to my Seven but don't expect a xmas present this year.

With the weather being superb yesterday I managed a nice long blat. The car is very smooth now and full of power, more grunt than I thought I would feel. In fact I even scared myself on the damp roads after the wheels spun up in second purely whilst accelerating on the straight.

The car now pulls cleanly from a light throttle at real world speeds with no spluttering at all making driving in traffic in a higher gear more relaxing. The car was always good but the new carbs have seemed to open the power band when the fast road cams come in.

Only down side is I found a small water leak from the plastic thermostat holder when the car is hot. I think this is a common fault on Zetecs and age related.

Finally thanks to Martin for the loan of his trailer and to JW for another great set up and real world advise. I could have so easily spent 3K on injection, but for me this is perfect.