Damdy-Cash

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK people, if you have one of these

Current handbrake lever

Then I can confirm that you will be able to remove it. *smile*

Just been out to the car and had a good look. Initially it seemed like it was firmly wedged but a bit of twisting and it started to move. Didn't take it all the way off but was pretty convinced it would go the whole way. Can also confirm that the button is inside the lever and not part of the grip.

Right.... Where's this blokes email address, its Christmas after all 😬

Tom

Tom, did you get the impression that it would just pull off? Mine seems pretty well fixed, but perhaps needs more effort? Directly under the button on my grip there is a moulded circle which in some lights could be a small plastic plug for a grub screw, or perhaps is just part of the moulding. Did you undo anything or just pull?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm sure yours is the same as mine based on what you've said. Mine looked like a grub screw but it isn't. The handle just pulls off the lever.

Before

After

Have a go at twisting it a bit, it soon came off for me and I didn't have to force it too much. In case you are wondering what the tape measure is for,I've been emailing Carsten and he wanted to know how long the gear lever was before it bends downwards and through the transmission tunnel.

As you can see its 12.5cm but I'm thinking that would be overkill length wise. Something like 10.5 - 11cm would see more sensible to me. The handbrake cover will cover the first part after all.

Tom

Edited by - TomWoodis on 19 Dec 2013 22:08:59

Well done Tom, I didn't think that would come off! On the old version the rubber grip goes on after the tunnel top is fitted as it is too big to go through the hole in the gaiter. It also has a groove around one end for the gaiter to locate into which is much neater. Have you checked the diameter of the lever to check the carbon one will fit OK?

I emailed Carsten earlier with the dimensions but he never mentioned the diameter so I've asked him if he'd like that measurement as well.

I'll see what he comes back with but I imagine the aluminium ends he's been making could be machined to different widths if needed?

Tom

No problem at all. I too have one on the way which I'm looking forward to receiving. Not sure how long the post will take but I presume a couple of weeks.

Will update with photos once installed.

Tom

Sorry to semi-hijack this thread, but when I assembled my 2007 S3, I found that the position of the handbrake handle in its released, lowermost "off" position was still high enough above the tunnel that it interfered with easy movement of the gearbox shifter.

So after living with this problem for too long, I disassembled the tunnel cover, removed the entire CC shifter lever, and drilled a new, lower mounting hole in the vertical steel mounting flange by which the shifter mechanism bolts to the twin tabs on the tunnel frame.

Ah, bliss.... Anyone else made this ergonomic mod?

Got back to the office yesterday and the bits were waiting for me upon arrival. Finally got round to fitting it this afternoon. Very happy with the results it looks great I think.

I did have a few issues with the fitting though which I will share for those who have a similar issue. The handbrake lever itself has a weld that runs along the seam underneath the lever. It actually protrudes beyond the diameter of the rest of the lever so initially when I tried sliding one of the aluminium inserts over the lever it quickly fouled on the raised metal. I made to alterations to get things working:

1) file away the protruding parts of the weld on the lever using a file. I also had to remove a small amount of material on the top of the lever where there is a join that wasn't quite flush.

2) cut a small notch to the inside of one of the aluminium inserts.

The latter helped to ensure that it would go on even if I'd missed a bit during my general removal of the welded material.

The rest was easy, simply slide over the lever and do up the supplied grub screws. Some pics for you below:

Filing the joint at the top

Removing material around the weld

Finished article

And a close up

Looks much more like what Caterham should have supplied from the Outset. Nice one Volker/Carsten.

Tom