Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Filling gearbox oil

TBKBABABTIM

You might like to think how you're going to measure the level and refill it in the future. Lots of possibilities: level plug from underneath, level plug through the transmission tunnel, top plate of gearbox.

If you're going from underneath you need a cut down bit of hex bar: have a play with this while you've got good access.

I know someone used to make a top plate with a filler hole. and I think I recently saw a reference to a top plate with a dipstick: is that available? If it was I'd fit one during the build.

Lots on this in the archives.

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 8 Jun 2013 09:19:02

If I recall correctly mine only took about 1.3l. I was also confused by the manuals claim it would take 1.9l but I had been pre warned this would be the case so after the first litre I poured it in a little at a time. I had a plastic pipe taped to a long thin piece of wood with a funnel on the end gravity fed from above. If its trickling back out the hole then must be full was my conclusion.

I overfilled as the funnel I used was full when oil started coming out of fill hole.... so I was in no mans land.

I reckon it took circa 1.5-1.6 litres...........I used the 2 full bottles and it spat the rest out. The bottles were .95 of a litre.

I had the exact same issue.

Spoke to Phil @ r+r he assured me it held 1.2lts.

By this point I had filled it on the floor with 1.9 lts and fitted it. Removed the awkward plug after fitting gear box and sure enough 700 ml ran back out.

Very interesting. So with the guys who've drilled and fitted a bung in the top cover for an easy fill, surely they'll put the manuals 1.9l reccomended dosage in.

They won't get the drain off we get when doing it with the tube and funnel.

Sounds like its full, I used a hozelock 13mm elbow on the end of about 45 cm of 13mm hose down the side of the gearbox from the engine bay, got at right height twisted the pipe and elbow slots in the hole. Took about 1 minute to fill, then an hour worrying there wasn't enough in and messing about checking car was level and trying to get more in.

This is the very best bit of kit for filling gearbox and differentials

HERE

Get a 10mm 90 degree copper elbow which is a tight push fit in the plastic pipe and fit a short piece of rubber pipe on to this. Fill the "syringe" with oil and simply push the plunger.

Works a treat and avoids oil spillage. *thumbup*