Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Buying a Seven - Help!!!

Andy-M

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I just checked the For Sale section and the last copy that came up went in 2 minutes!!! I'll take a look round other places and see if I can pick up a copy, it sounds really useful!

I guess the best thing with the diff ratio is to see whether it bothers me at cruising speeds? If I understand right the 3.92 diff might be tiring due, mostly, to the noise / feeling from being at higher revs? I guess if it doesn't bother me it shouldn't really be an issue?

@Mabbs thanks for the warning. I imagine he'll be less flexible at the moment as (by all accounts) people selling Caterhams seem to be doing a roaring trade! Caterham South stated that they don't negotiate on price either - are there any (non private) people selling Caterhams who will?

I almost bought a car off Woodcote when I was looking for a 7.

Stuart was willing to negotiate on price and did a good quote for fitting a lowered floor and Apollo as part of the deal. I almost went for it, but the car was not quite what I wanted.

I guess it depends on the car he's selling and the state of the market.

I cannot quite remember the price, but it was comparable to what it would cost to get a professional to do it, but with the convenience of getting the car with the work already done.

Stuart was not going to do the work himself, I think he has a contact who does 7 maintenance who would do it for him. This was 4 years ago, so best to check with Stuart

Quoting Andy-M: 
I guess the best thing with the diff ratio is to see whether it bothers me at cruising speeds? If I understand right the 3.92 diff might be tiring due, mostly, to the noise / feeling from being at higher revs? I guess if it doesn't bother me it shouldn't really be an issue?

I've got the 3.92 diff (on a 1.6 SuperSport with 6 speed box - it's around 133bhp with a CAT according to the books.) I definitely like it for the acceleration and it hasn't really affected me when travelling longer distances. I drove from the 'Ring to the ferry for example, pretty much at 80ish the whole way (you pretty much have no choice on Belgian motorways!)

Earplugs (opinion time!) are a necessity for all but the shortest blats - you will have engine/exhaust/tyre/wind noise all competing to damage your hearing. You still get to hear the car with decent earplugs. *thumbup*

Is there more wear and tear on the engine/gearbox if they're spinning faster compared to a 3.62 diff? I guess there must be, but I don't believe it's anything to worry about.

It might be worth finding 2 owners willing to take you out in similar cars with the different diff ratios so you can get a feeling of the difference in revs. There are gear calculator websites - I'm sure it wouldn't be too tricky to work out the difference in revs for your chosen cruising speed.

Edited by - LazerBrain on 26 Apr 2013 14:03:27

Exactly. Cruising at 70 is something like 4500 rpm with a 6 speed and 3.92 (depending on tyre size). After a few hours it can "do your head in".

But you are not buying a 7 for its motorway cruising ability, right *smile*

My factory roadsport came with 6 speed and 3.62 which was great for road and track days. I changed to 3.92 for competing, and now prefer to tow it to events, as its just a bit too manic at those revs for very long periods.

• Area Representative

Another big *thumbup* for Woodcote, I found him very fair to deal with he did move a little on price but that was in the month of December not Spring of a new sevening year!

Good luck and enjoy.

Kingsley

Hi Andy, and welcome to the Club.

That car looks a very tidy example, and with a lot of desirable extras (Supersport upgrade, 6-speed, Apollo, 4-point harness, FIA rollbar, adjustable platforms). It also has a good choice of tyres (Yokohama AO21R). I suggest you check whether the "big brake kit" means front 4-pot plus ventilated discs. If so, that's another plus.

Looking at the photos, I think it may already have widetrack (at least, the front shocks appear to have the hex extender at the top).

My first 7 was a pretty much bog-standard 1999 1.8K Roadsport (122bhp). Over time I upgraded it (who doesn't?): Supersport (140bhp), 6-speed, widetrack, 4-pot brakes, Apollo plus Laminova oil cooler, verniers, adjustable platforms, 4-1 exhaust, and finally Supersport-R (rollerbarrels, 160bhp). All in all, a great little car.

JV

Hey all,

I went down to see the car today with @Graham King, really nice to have someone from the club able to come along :). It turns out the car is actually a better spec than listed on the website, it's also got wide track, as John suggested, and an LSD.

Unfortunately the tyres are going to need replacing due to their age but I suspect, if I buy it, I'd end up replacing them with the same ones again. The timing belt is also due to be replaced on time, and the brakes had a lot of travel prior to kicking in and, when they did, didn't seem to have the performance I've experienced on other sevens.

Stuart has agreed that, if I go ahead, he'd sort the brakes and timing belt, as well as get it mot'd again since that runs out in June, but because of all that won't budge on price.

Still, I think it's a pretty good price considering the state and spec of the car.

@John I think the big brake kit was the standard Caterham uprated brakes package. I'm not sure whether that's a 4 pot + ventilated discs. I'd say they looked like ventilated discs to me so I assume so, but again, I'm a bit of a newbie to all this stuff! I'd imagine @Graham would be able to clarify though!

The only things that are even remotely concerning are a little bit of flaking on the powder coating on the offside front corner, and some discolouration around the base of the roll bar - I presume this is surface rust only, but am not sure whether that's common / could actually be a problem? Sorry, Graham, I forgot to ask you this!

Thanks again to all for all the help, and especially to Graham for coming to look at the car with me - really useful and makes me really glad I joined the club!

• Area Representative

Surprised that no one has suggested Jon Vickers at Millwood as an option to explore, although you are over in Bedfordshire it isn't that far, and have always found Jon to be most agreable and very professional in all his dealings.

Plenty of local members that would be more than happy to go along with you if you wanted and at least it would give you another option to explore if you want the comfort of a buying from someone in the trade.

Good luck in your search Andy.

Regards Paul.

Andy, YHM.

I agree entirely about Millwoods and Jon. I bought my current car (as a kit) through him and have always found him professional, helpful and honest in all his dealings. It would be worth calling him as his stock changes regularly, and if you have a particular spec in mind, he might know of exactly the car for you.

JV

Andy, was good to meet you as well yesterday. Can confirm that the brakes were the Caterham 4-pot items and ventilated disks. The powder coating on some of the older cars wasn,t that great but I suspect, as John says, a little rubbing down and a lick of hammerite will sort that out.

Graham

Good to hear. Current thinking is I'll probably go for it. Waiting to hear back from Andy Belcher as to whether he'd be willing to have a look over it for me at the same time as sorting the bits I know need doing.

May well also give Millwood a ring in the morning to see what they have / know of.

Hey all, just wanted to say massive thanks to you all. I've decided to go for the one from Woodcote in the end. Everyone who's looked at it seems to think it's in really good shape so I'll be picking it up soon with any luck!

• Leadership Team

One thing that has not been mentioned to date is weather equipment.

the best upgrade i have ever done to a Seven is get a Half-hood. A wonderous piece of kit that turned my car from a toy to an everyday weapon. It makes the full hood obsolete.

If you plan to use the car regularly in UK get one

I agree with Midas. You'll soon find the standard hood is a pain in the 🙆🏻. It takes ages to erect, and when cold it's as flexible as the Koh-i-Noor diamond. As for the tonneau, that can be a great asset when travelling solo in cold/wet weather. Just use the passenger half -- lovely and cosy! (I take it your new steed has a heater?)

JV

It does indeed. I've been looking at getting some bits from SBFS - tunnel bag, long nosed shower cap, and was planning on the full hood bag. Are they also the best source for a half hood? Thanks for the advice on the tonneau :)