Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Buying a Seven - Help!!!

Andy-M

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the SBFS tunnel bag is well worth getting. I use the Touring item and it's invaluable for storing all those essential bits and pieces: hi-viz gilet, spare battery key, earplugs, two-way 12v adaptor for satnav and Road Angel, passport, wallet etc.

JV

• Leadership Team

You will be amazed how much rain the HH keeps off you - we drove from Bristol to Scotland in torrential rain - yes we got damp but while you are moving the cabin stays dry.

furthermore, my wife and I now find that if we must drive on the motorway the HH offers great protection against the buffeting wind.

Wish i'd bought one years ago.

Sorry to bother you all again but I'm moving on the next issue on my list: Tyres! It's currently shod with 185/60 13 A021-R tyres which are due for replacement due to age.

So....I'm planning to replace them with the same A021-R type but, having done some reading on the forums, see that the 185/70 13's are much cheaper. I *think* I'm right in thinking these would give 18.5mm greater road clearance and will be 18.5 mm closer to the arches, though that may all be Top Gear math! (with those numbers I don't *think* there should be any problem getting them under the arches.

The other issue this throws up is it'll put the speedo out - though it seems caterham speedo's are pretty unreliable anyway?

Is there anything else I should be aware of / any good arguments for / against switching? If I do go for it how big a job is it to recalibrate the speedo?

Andy, you won't be able to recalibrate the speedo easily, the older speedos didn't have any adjustment built in.

I suspect that moving to 185/70 will actually make the speedo more accurate than it is currently. I believe that the older speedos were calibrated for 185/60 * 14 wheels and tyres, 185/70 * 13 is almost the same rolling circumference. I've never used 185/70 tyres so can't really comment on their performance vs 185/60 I'm afraid, but lots of people use them. I guess in general you will get a slightly more compliant ride vs a slight degredation in handling (as the tyre wall will flex more).

Graham.

• 1 month later...

Just to say thanks, once again, to all. I've now had the car over a month and so far have obtained a tunnel bag and long nose shower cap (both really useful), will shortly be acquiring a half hood, and have fitted the larger profile tyres (current price £66 a corner, fitted from George Polley's) which made the speedo reading much more accurate - now about 4 / 5 mph out instead of 10 originally @ an indicated 60mph.