Click here if you are having website access problems ×

silicone hoses for VX

TIM 5O

I just ordered mine from Ram Air in Pewsay! They are on ebay, mine were for a 1600 k series. £147 for the full set posted! They were fine with me changing the address after i had ordered them so they could be sent straight to DVA Power and Dave said they include all of the hoses as some companys sell them and they only include hoses you can see!

Many thanks for the advice and sorry for delay in reply

Classic Silicon

unfortunately do not do a kit for the Vauxhall 2.0

SFS

they told me currently 4-6 weeks delivery

Caterham kit

is for XV carb but as mine is an injection converted to throttle bodies this kit does not fit so they gave me two codes to buy top and bottom hoses seperately top silicon great bottom rubber and out of stock

on Ebay have Samco set but I am not impressed as pic seems to show k series kit again 6 weeks delivery ?

Don't bother with the Samco kit. I bought it through Merlin Motorsport for my VX Inj and as you say the kit isn't right - no need for the J pipe as it is metal on ours. I contacted Merlin and Samco to inform them of the error and basically they didn't want to know. All I could use was the top and bottom pipe and cut up the remaining for some of the shorter sections.

Seem good quality hoses though I must say.

Cheers

David

Quoting TIM 5O: 
Many thanks for the advice and sorry for delay in reply

Classic Silicon

unfortunately do not do a kit for the Vauxhall 2.0

SFS

they told me currently 4-6 weeks delivery

Caterham kit

is for XV carb but as mine is an injection converted to throttle bodies this kit does not fit so they gave me two codes to buy top and bottom hoses seperately top silicon great bottom rubber and out of stock

on Ebay have Samco set but I am not impressed as pic seems to show k series kit again 6 weeks delivery ?

I have the Caterham Vx 3 hose set on my engine which is carbs converted to injection. I'd love to know what the difference is between a carb set of 3 hoses and a TB set, as I fail to see how carbs or injection move the location of the engine, the radiator or the thermostat housing. There may be 'other' hoses that are different, but the 3 main ones seem to be the same.

Coincidentally, I believe it is the same 3 hoses as used on the Rover engine as well.

Edited by - keybaud on 22 Feb 2013 17:03:51

Quoting TIM 5O: 
Hi Keybaud

When I looked on site it says VX carb I called CC and was told it would not fit injection model even though I did tell them that I had converted to TB they still said it would not fit *confused*

As the Vx is an old model, I wonder if that is CC's way of not being wrong, as they may not actually know if they fit or don't. Alternatively, the Vx Challenge cars may be different, as that is what mine is.

Edited by - keybaud on 22 Feb 2013 18:11:01

If you refer to the build manual you can see that the carb version has a straight submarine pipe and a 'U' shaped hose to attach it to the back of the water pump. For some reason, the injection enginehas a stainless steel submarine pipe with the requisite 'U' as a part of it. A short, straight length of rubber hose is used to attach this to the back of the pump.

Tim,

I need to correct my previous post. Re the Samco kit I couldn't use the bottom rad pipe as it was too short.

I spoke to someone at CC about this at the time (May 2008) and he said the Inj hoses are made from x-flow hoses.

I can't for the life of me remember what I did with the bottom rad hose - I think I just ordered a replacement x-flow rubber one (though I seem convinced in my head it is red!). I will check tonight and let you know.

Cheers

David

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late jumping on to this thread but some of the points are relevant to my question.

I have a 1600 Vauxhall Caterham Classic (carbs not injection) and during recent MOT the bottom radiator hose was seen to have a few cracks. Close inspection of top hose also shows some cracking so intend to replace both. From a quick trawl of the internet I couldn't find replacement rubber hoses but noted lots of references to silicone hoses. Apart from 'lasting longer' and initially 'looking prettier', I couldn't see much benefit of silicone hoses; it seems there may be a couple of negatives such as larger diam - therefore needing different clips - and possibly having to top up the cooling system more frequently.

Does anyone have any views re pros and cons of silicone vs rubber cooling system hoses? Also, if rubber wins the day, does anyone know where I can buy them from?

I look forward to your advice.