Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Peter Carmichael's 35mpg achievement on his powerful Seven?

anthonym

I heard about Peter Carmichael's 35mpg achievement on his powerful Seven. The thing is, I haven't found any recent activity on Carmichael, so I don't know what happened to him.

Does anyone have maybe the print screens of your best mpg maps? It doesn't matter what ECU's you are running.

a friend from overseas asks

Anthony

I don't have any print screens, but on Friday, I averaged 28.7mpg US (34.5 mpg UK) on CA 25 from Hollister to King City, and then managed 24 mpg US (28.8 mpg UK) on Nacimiento-Fergusson road and CA 1 (a.k.a. PCH) between King City and Carmel - see map below. This was in a S3 with a CSR260 motor.

Trip report with some photos here. *wavey*

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn384/BBL-Sean/Blats/10-30-20124-53-22PM.jpg

I averaged 28.7mpg US (34.5 mpg UK) on CA 25 from Hollister to King City, and then managed 24 mpg US (28.8 mpg UK)

Surely 24 usmpg is 30 ukmpg, and 28.7 is 35.9? You've been multiplying by 1.2, should be 1.25. US gallons are 20% smaller than UK gallons, but UK gallons are 25% larger than US gallons 😬

Quoting Roger Ford: 
I averaged 28.7mpg US (34.5 mpg UK) on CA 25 from Hollister to King City, and then managed 24 mpg US (28.8 mpg UK)

Surely 24 usmpg is 30 ukmpg, and 28.7 is 35.9? You've been multiplying by 1.2, should be 1.25. US gallons are 20% smaller than UK gallons, but UK gallons are 25% larger than US gallons 😬

I used some online calculator for that, rather than doing it myself. But from what I can see, multiplying by 1.20095 is correct, so the values in the original post appear to me to be correct. *confused*

I also wonder sometimes what happened to Peter Carmichael, and Davy Bee, and Count, and... many other prolific posters from days gone by...

Andrew - Once past Carmel Valley Road, there aren't any other options to get to King City!

And to all of you driving this in a Yank tank - you're doing it ALL wrong! I highly recommend the S3 w/2.3 Duratec for this particular drive. *tongue*

Edited by - BBL on 31 Oct 2012 14:02:35

Anthony - The dingus I have to go from USB to CAN BUS stopped working, so I am unable to get my laptop to talk to my MBE ECU. I have a copy of the actual map backed up, but not on this particular computer. I'll try to get a screenshot for you, but it may take a few days.

Apologies for the minor hijack earlier! *wavey*

Quoting Roger Ford: 
US gallons are 20% smaller than UK gallons, but UK gallons are 25% larger than US gallons 😬
In terms of fluid ounces, yes. But you've overlooked the fact that a US fluid ounce is bigger than a UK one (by a factor of 1.04083). 1.25 divided by 1.04083 gives you 1.20096, so BBL is correct 😬.

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 31 Oct 2012 16:57:43

n terms of fluid ounces, yes. But you've overlooked the fact that a US fluid ounce is bigger than a UK one (by a factor of 1.04083)

I never knew that. I stand corrected 😶‍🌫️ I always assumed the ounces were the same but the pints simply had a different number of them. So a US fluid ounce of water doesn't weigh an ounce? No, it seems not. How odd.

I didn't know that either - I used an online calculator. I always thought we (in the US) were on the "Imperial" system of measurement, not realizing there is more than one, apparently. But then, I am still in shock from learning that you guys only count six continents on the planet, whereas we count seven!

I'm also interested in making some savings in fuel on long runs. What AFR should I set which mapping sites to to effect a lean run at cruise throttle openings?

would an AFR of around 15 to 15.5 be acceptable between say 3 and 5 thousand revs at load sites 1 & 2 or would that be too lean over too large a range?

I've done 5 continents - South America and Antarctica to go.

(Unless Barbados counts as S.America?)

I was googling the different values for fl.oz. pints and gallons and came across a Yahoo!! Answer that included the phrase

"A pints a pound, the world around"

I guess it's true if your world only consists of the United States of America. *wavey*

Grim Reaper, I'll be interested to see what recommendations come up for improved economy. Obviously you can't go too lean as you'll overheat but its my understanding that correct ignition advance at light throttle openings can make a significant difference, hence why 3D mapped ignition is so effective on carbed cars. I think I'd be inclined to look hard at the ignition map first unless the fuelling is way out.

What do the experts say?

I also wonder sometimes what happened to Peter Carmichael, and Davy Bee, and Count, and... many other prolific posters from days gone by...

Peter is alive and well, which I think is more than his car is. He and Count were in deadlock to see who could use their car least until I brought Count's car 3 months ago.

Peter and Count live together, and I am assuming Peter is not a homosexual, although Count has taken up dressing in leather and riding a Harley in the US.

Dave Brown is also alive and well, but missing his car. Maybe he'll rejoin us some day.