Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting new lowered head light brackets

Alan and Daisy

Alan

Assuming you have Econoseal connectors on the inside of the plug there is a yellow thing with holes in where the connection pins go through, this pulls out to reveal some tiny clips that hold the wires in the connector. Using a watch makers screwdriver you can push the clips back and the wires pull out.

Jason

Just done mine and fitted 5.75" lights. As regards the cables I am assuming your 7" lights are same as the ones I replaced.

Threading the sheathed wires into the new brackets is tricky but not impossible. Use blunt end of pencil to 'nead'' the sheath into the tube at same time as pulling the cable through.

For me I had to cut off a small angle from the new lowered brackets as on both sides it fouled the chassis member. This took me an age and a lot of angst on the first side!!!

Once realised the second side was a doddle!

John is right with regard to the yellow bit, remove it first and replace after all pins in position, again an error I made , doing this way makes it again a doddle.

If you want to talk it though , Blat mail me and I'll give you my phone number..

Also don't forget you will have to drill a 10mm hole through the wishbone carrier to take the cable neatly from your new brackets into the engine bay.

Good luck, it's not impossible just fiddly but looks great when done!

Cheers

Steve

I had a terrible time trying to thread my wires through last year with the SVA/IVA requirement of grommets at entry and exit from the tube .... I almost cried!

I visited the factory a week later for the PBC and saw one of the production guys doing the same job and I said 'I bet you'd like to kill the bright spark who dreamed up this design'? ...... but he was quite happy because the factory have their own method not mentioned in the Fine Manual.

They snip off the large diameter sleeving an inch or two below the lamp ... just long enough to to later poke into the strut hole and grommet.

Once the've snipped the big sleeving they get 18" of 4 or 5mm heat shrink sleeving and slide that up the wires to just inside the big sleeving and heat it for a tight fit.

They are then able to get this nicely shrunk assembly down through the grommet and support tube in 30 seconds.

I almost cried again .... had taken me an hour each with much bad language.

Now you know how the factory do it.

Cheers

Chris

Great to see what they look like, I have received my lights, brackets will be here tomorrow so thats me sorted for the weekend!

Oh and went for the carbon indicator pods from CC whilst I was at it 😬

Edited by - MichaelS on 24 Oct 2012 17:23:10

Don't do what I did and reasemble the light to the bracket and fit the pug back on before you bolt the bracket to the car, the plug is to big to go through the hole in the bodywork, therefore had to dissconnect the wires from the plug again then thread them through the bodywork and refit the plug, doh *confused* 🙆🏻

Thanks for the pictures.

Have you tried them at night yet? I would imagine being a single tube without a stabilising bar would cause them to vibrate a fair bit.

Do you have the part numbers and a price for the brackets? (Metric chassis)

Cheers all.