Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A couple of questions on Carbon....

AndrewGP

My car's carbon front wings and noseband need a good polish. The archive's say all sorts but Mer Bumper Gel seems to be the business. However, my 2001 car has what I would call 'dry look' carbon whereas the newer Sevens carbon have the 'wet look'.

Is there a difference or is mine just 'old'? If there is a difference when did CC change their supplier? And will the Mer stuff work on my 'dry look' CF bits?

Hi Andrew, assume the lacquer is still present, but has gone dull ?

Following a recommendation on here *thumbup* I use a furniture spray polish called Wood Silk, available from supermarkets. It has a distinctive yellow cap shaped like a beehive.

Cheap and very effective - in my experience.

edit - prior to discovering the above revelation, I used Mer B&V cleaner to good effect. Also works well on black vinyl covered dash and switches.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 16 Oct 2012 09:06:14

Never mind all those expensive off the shelf products.

Search in the back of the kitchen cupboard for that dried up old tin of black shoe polish. Prise off the lid and spray on some WD40 to make a paste.

Rub onto the surface of the carbon fibre with an old rag then polish up with a dry cloth.

Job done *thumbup* and as cheap as chips 😬

• Leadership Team

Quoting grenpayne: 
Thanks all. I still can't help thinking my CF is different to the newer stuff though?
Andrew, it is different .... there's just too many folks on here who haven't been round long enough to remember 😬

Around 1997 when the first Superlights were made the carbon was a very dull finish, not sure how long this lasted but certainly by around 1999 a higher gloss version was used. Best suggestion for looking after the dull stuff is probably something such as Autoglym bumper care which will enhance the weave and add a little protection. If you try polishing it to a high gloss finish you'll probably regret ever starting!

Stu.

My 1999 Supersport has the older type of carbon front wings and in my opinion they look much better than the newer high gloss type. I keep mine looking good by the occasional use of Simonize Back To black. This works very well and gives a nice sheen. How I wishI could find a pair of rear wings to match them.

• Leadership Team

Quoting grenpayne: 
I have carbon rear wings but unfortunately they are painted 😔
No unfortunate about it! I removed my very shiny DiTP carbon rear wings and fitted Caterham CF ones which I promptly had painted .... IMHO the car looks much better with painted rear wings *thumbup* It's colour-dependent, mine's Lotus Azure Blue and I felt the plain CF looked naff. My previous 7 was red and after a spell with plain carbon I swapped back to red rear wings.

Yellow does look good with CF though *tongue*

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 17 Oct 2012 22:55:47

Quoting John Alston: 
My 1999 Supersport has the older type of carbon front wings and in my opinion they look much better than the newer high gloss type. I keep mine looking good by the occasional use of Simonize Back To black. This works very well and gives a nice sheen. How I wishI could find a pair of rear wings to match them.

Top tip ... Next time you have an alcohol wipe left over from a pack of some adhesive number plate adhesive pads, use them to quickly wipe that annoying bit of grime between the flash and main beam switches ... PRESTO! Lovely modern lacquered finish becomes lovely unlaquered old style carbon! ... So now to decide ... Try all the wax and polish tricks, or buy more alcohol wipes and go old school?!

(BTW, I am gutted as I loved the lacquer!!)