Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Differential stays

paul richards

• Area Representative

Stu

Yes I realise Mike has them on his R500 and now you mention it they do fit to seat belt mounts.

If no one else comes up with info I'll contact Mike.

Dom

Titanium - Bit too expensive for me. I'll be fabricating my own. 😬

You have to triangulate the mount or its pointless.

The Caterham type, by attaching to the harness mount, is midway along the top tube of the rear bulkhead. There is no rigidity here hence it is .... you guessed it.... pointless.

You cannot attach to the damper tops or use the Caterham setup without bastardising the boot floor, which as well as not being useful, removes some of the rear crash protection.

Someone needs to design some brackets which attach to the bolts where the outer a frame bushes are.

Please clarify, but I believe the Caterham "diff struts" are different in location from the diff braces that Caterham supplies for the R500 Superlight.

The latter come up from the diff housing bolts through the boot floor to the shoulder harness bar (as do the MOG version, except that they attach to the shock top tower bolts), while the former seem to be involved with the de Dion suspension bracketry.

Clarification would be helpful....

My point is, there is nothing to stop you putting a pair of links between the inner end of the forward A frame bushes and either the diff mount halfway back on the bottom of the diff, or the bolts which hold the rear cover on.

Its critical the end of the link not attached to the diff is attached to something which is rigid and cannot flex. The harness mounts can flex. A lot.

• Area Representative

Arnie - Nice job. I see what you mean - additional support for the diff using the diff fixings which are normally ignored in the standard set up and nicely triangulated to a strong point on the chassis.

This is the Seven Speed solution and must be what I was thinking of. Looks simple enough to fabricate with a couple of spherical rod ends and easy to retro fit. 😬

Top shock mounts must be pretty rigid I guess.

Thanks for all your replies. *thumbup*