Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Solutions for making my driving position more comfortable!

Irish

Afternoon all.

Just back from an outing in the Caterham. Issue is that it is getting more and more uncomfortable to join.

In current trim my car is a long cockpit with these seats:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d120/Mulryan/Public/003.jpg

Steering wheel is as follows:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d120/Mulryan/Public/004.jpg

Problem is my knees are under the dash and the wheel, small as it is, catches on legs.

Options:

Lowered floor.

Re-drilling the steering wheel such that it sits higher.

Changing to S type seats (I have one in the attic!).

Forget tillets as I am big boned! Just under 6'2".

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by - Irish on 1 Jul 2012 15:19:12

Quoting James_Russell: 
're-drill the steering wheel so it sits higher'- something tells me you haven't thought that through!

If you like the seat itself then a lowered floor is the way to go. You could see if the S-type is any better but I doubt it.

Referring just to the Momo wheel - attaching it to the boss higher.

....but if you 'move' the steering wheel in relation to the boss, then centre of the wheel ill no longer be over the centre of the boss. Do I need to continue? 😬

Lowered floor would be the best advice, but see if you can find someone who has a lowered floor so you can see the benefit first.

I'm 6'2" and not slim... - lowered floor (crucial) and despite your comments try Tillets (mounted directly on floor, or there is a new slim line set of runners direct from Tillet) as I fit very snugly and it works for road and track. Normal round s.wheel is then fine.

I have the same seats as you, and before you go for the very expencive lowered floor try taking the seat out as suggested, I have a moulded foam seat so you are basically 1cm above the floor and a good 3 inches further back, the differance is astounding. I put the old seat back in last week but had to take it out a day later as it felt as though I was sitting on the car not in it. You get so much more lateral support from the transmission tunnel. A foam seat will cost about £30 to make and trim

simon