Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2012 Speed Championship - Round 8 - Shelsey Walsh Results.

CaterBram

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard, really glad to see you walking away from that. Hope you're not to sore this morning? I see from the other thread that you're considering that to be your last competitive run....... quitting whilst you're ahead is always hard to do. Brave decision.

Although I have never been to SW, I do find myself thinking along the lines of Martyn above.

Richard,

Shocking series of photographs. I am really pleased to hear that you walked away from that tumble. I am sure you are nursing some serious aches and pains today.Thank goodness for full roll cages.

I am sure should you decide to retire from competitive hillclimbing there would still be a buzz to be had from helping Tom acheive his goals. Look forward to catching up with you in the pits at a future meeting.

Wishing you well.

Robin

That course of action would be a no-brainer in my view. What is stopping them putting armco in? Tradition?

Edited for bad spalling and , grammar;

Edited by - OliW on 4 Jul 2012 13:00:48

Quoting OliW: 
That course of action would is a no-brainer in my view. What is stopping them putting armco in? Tradition?

What is best for the driver, an abrupt halt into armco, or a spectacular roll losing the energy of the crash over a longer period of time.

• Area Representative

Doug,

I would not have hit the Armco head on, I would have glanced along the Armco, probably spun, maybe rolled, but all withing the confines of the track. I was a long way airboune, and landing is always going to be an issue.....

The land drops away very steeply too the left of the track.

If there had been Armco, my car would still be very sad, but I'm certain that I would not feel as sore as I currently do.......

I'm certainly in favour of Armco.....

Many a true word Clive. Green painted Armco costs little, ask BARC and Harewood.

I read with great interest the article in the Spring issue of MSA Magazine about Derek Warwick's good work. I do not know the criteria that the MSA use for speed venue licencing but perhaps they need to take a fresh look at them all?

Incidents will happen, it is the nature of the sport, but consequences of driver errors should not be as violent as we have seen over recent years, particularly at 'Classic' venues. We do this for fun....don't we ?

David

When I first watched the video of Richard's accident, I thought the car was going to hit one of the scaffolding structures. Thank goodness it didn't. So in my view this supports the need for Armco.

I know nothing about the location, but the Armco needs to be properly built into its environment. Otherwise it can simply act as a ramp in much the same way that the bank does currently.

This is a good example (and note how close to 3 possible fatalaties this was) - both drivers were acceptably okay -

You can't simply add the armco to the top of the existing bank.

Richard - I'm sure you're going to be stiff for a while yet. I had a week of neck aches and soreness in my upper back from going over the bumps at the side of the circuit at Brands a month or so ago and that is not even comparable. I hope you can take your time and recover properly.

Jez

I know nothing about the location
Ditto for me.

I'm sure the banking could be removed and flattened on that section and a suitable Armco barrier put in it's place.

As mentioned in the previous weblink, with the history of similar accidents at this location it seems common sense to do so.