Click here if you are having website access problems ×

filling gearbox

pug7

Anyone give me a clue/hints?

whats the easiest way to do it ? i got the blank plug out but carnt get a hose fed into it to fill the gearbox. theres so little room i carnt even get my finger to touch the fill hole let alone feed the end of some 8mm outside diameter tube into said fill hole ??

I put the (short) hose in from below. If you get the car high enough access isn't really to bad.

Once I've got my hose in, I push it onto the well filled gearbox oil container and squeeze hard.

By being below the car it is easier to see when the level is reached and any extra just runs back into to bottle. I still get oil down my sleev replacing the plug though *smile*

Duncan

DJ

I sometimes get it in from below. Squeezing hard can be fun too. As an alternative, and if your feeling kinky, try it from above! 🥰

PS I don't understand the bit about it running down your arm, that's beyond my experience.

PC

thaks for the replies - its not the getting the fluid in thats the problem, im struggling to get a small plastic tube into the fill holw to try to fill it !

The centreline casting mark of geardbox (Standard 5 speed) is centered to within 0.5mm of the casis frames so pretty central - but a right squeeze to get anywhere near the hole thank god i loosened it when gearbox was out.

round two this morning.....along with trying to work out why the side lights/full lights switch works,the headlamp flasher switch works full beam lights flash, but full beam switch doesnt...

Quoting pug7: 
thaks for the replies - its not the getting the fluid in thats the problem, im struggling to get a small plastic tube into the fill holw to try to fill it !

The centreline casting mark of geardbox (Standard 5 speed) is centered to within 0.5mm of the casis frames so pretty central - but a right squeeze to get anywhere near the hole thank god i loosened it when gearbox was out.

... but you have the clearance to remove the filler plug OK? How much clearance do you have between the face of the hole and the tunnel?

Quoting pug7: 
round two this morning.....along with trying to work out why the side lights/full lights switch works,the headlamp flasher switch works full beam lights flash, but full beam switch doesnt...

That sounds like the switch. Can you get the leads off the switch and test it with another switch? But of course it could be cables. Where do the leads from the flasher switch and the full beam switch join up... is it near the switches or near/ at the relay?

Have a good morning.

Jonathan

• Leadership Team

If you have some help get them to pass the tube down from above and just bounce the thin tube off of your finger tip (from below obviously) into the hole - just make sure it goes in a bit otherwise a puddle starts to form on your chest (dont ask me how I know!) Then remove yourself and replace with a bowl or similar - takes ages to fill though (I wasnt bright enough to warm the oil first). Replacing the plug is a finger tip job - dont rush and beware of cross threading it (you wont want to be taking that lot out again to fix it!).

Beam switch may be as simple as my starter button - not connected at the factory!

Did you get the rear supsension sorted ok?

*wavey*

thanks for reply gary.

problem solved it was obviously time for bed yesterday. this morning tube in and filling as a type. lets say its much easier to get a tube into a hole than a blanking plug.....

suspension all together thanks gary, took 5 hrs for upper dif bolt. last resort was another bolt, remove the head and then shape the other end to a point. knock that in and follow through with long bolt. hope i dont have to remove it !

glad to hear that you got it done after sleeping on it. Another method is to use a length of 15mm copper tube with a 90deg elbow on the end plus a very short bit of pipe that sticks into the filler/level hole. With the long tube pointing upwards, use a small funnel in the top of the tube to pour the oil into. Works a treat and no mess.

Quoting Paul Deslandes: 
glad to hear that you got it done after sleeping on it. Another method is to use a length of 15mm copper tube with a 90deg elbow on the end plus a very short bit of pipe that sticks into the filler/level hole. With the long tube pointing upwards, use a small funnel in the top of the tube to pour the oil into. Works a treat and no mess.

After many times fiddling with plastic hose I now do it this way, so much easier *thumbup* The hard bit is getting the plug back in.

last winter I spent a very pleasant hour taking the lid off the gearbox and tapping a thread for a filler plug and then made a dipstick too. I intend to extract the oil with a pump next time its due.

I reckon its an hour well invested and I never have to look at the fecking drain and filler plugs again 😬 *thumbup*