Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo keeps dropping out

Jeremyr

I've just acquired a Roadsport SV with a Sigma 150. The speedo works and then keeps dropping down to zero and then returns to the right speed. This happens at different speeds. I've taken a look at the speedo gauge and done a simple unplug/plug but no change. Do I have a doggy speedo or is the problem at the sender unit or elsewhere?

M thx Jeremy

Surprised no one else has pitched in with some more details here. Try a search in the archives as I'm sure it's been covered before.

Sorry not to be more directly helpful but none of my Sevens has had the setup I'm referring too (all been too old).

• Area Representative
Sounds like a problem with the bracket flexing and adjusting the gap itself 😳 Maybe consider fixing the bracket with a sturdier bracket or to a sturdier mounting place. ISTR the bracket being held not he same fixing as the ARB which flexes/moves when the car is in use

In my case on route to the IOM Blat, the speedo did this. Then whilst on the IOM the car broke down. The reason was that the wires that run from the speedo sensor to the plug behind the drivers seat had broken down and short circuited thus it blew the instrument fuse, which in turn caused the ECU to shut the Petrol Pump down.

I guess the speedo cutting in and out should have given me a clue that the wiring was not at all well or the sensor has moved away from the toothed wheel that Martin mentions - mine also did this a year ago though when I re fitted it it made sure everything was good and tight.

Good luck getting it fixed.

Mike

Quoting Burwell7man: 
Yep, agree about the speed sensor inside rear offside wheel as the probable culprit 🙆🏻. My R400 does it occasionally at illegal three figure speeds 🥰. No issues otherwise. Check its clean all round.. *smile* *thumbup*

Yeah, my 175 Duratec does this as well when the speed gets up towards 3 figures. I adjusted the sensor gap to 0.5mm and cleaned the toothed wheel and this seemed to make a small improvement, but it is still not perfect. I'm not loosing sleep over it though...

Mike

Quoting michaeljclark: 
In my case on route to the IOM Blat, the speedo did this. Then whilst on the IOM the car broke down. The reason was that the wires that run from the speedo sensor to the plug behind the drivers seat had broken down and short circuited thus it blew the instrument fuse, which in turn caused the ECU to shut the Petrol Pump down.

This is a known problem and newer cars have a "fix". I don't know what said fix is, because as a race car we were allowed to disconnect the speedo drives instead.

Jez

Hi Jeremy,

Three possibilities spring to mind:

1. Sensor air gap too wide (or, just maybe, too narrow)

2. Sensor mounting bracket flexing

3. Dodgy speedo

#1 seems the most likely (as others have suggested *arrowup*). The air gap is easy to adjust. Set the gap initially at 1mm, turn on the ignition, and then rotate the hub. Every time one of the reluctor ring teeth passes by the sensor, the LED at the end should light up. Check this for all teeth, one by one. If they don't all light, reduce the air gap (in stages to, say, 0.5mm) and repeat.

#2: Does your car have a rear ARB? If so, check that you have the latest RHS mounting bracket . As Nick C says *arrowup*, the early ones used to flex, causing the air gap to alter ( especially when cornering). Do a search on "WN460" for details (this is CC's Workshop Notice describing the bracket mod). Blatmail me if you need a copy (big file -- about 6MB).

#3: I included this as my speedo was behaving bizarrely a while ago (see here). It turned out that the speedo itself was at fault (it had been replaced once already under warranty). The new one behaves perfectly.

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 22 May 2012 20:14:42

Edited by - John Vine on 22 May 2012 20:15:32

So I've had a good look at the sensor, the bracket, the sensor ring and the wiring connector. The sensor is fitted to the new type bracket and even with the ARB it looks pretty solid. The air gap could be slightly less but it's not far out. I think the problem I have is with the sensor ring. It appeared to have some movement and would rock a little on the shaft and I've now managed to get it to a position where it moves freely on the shaft and you can spin it around with your fingers!! Looking at the original build manual for the car it appears this is pre-attached to the shaft. No idea what's meant to keep it in position as there are no obvious grub screws etc. Loctite? Any thoughts, solutions or simlilar experiences?

Thx Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

Having taken final advice from Caterham Cars, yesterday I superglued the sensor ring on the shaft and ensured the sensor was well positioned around 1mm away. Took the car for a good run today and the speedo is now perfect with not a flicker on the dial. Much appreciate all the advice and guidance from club members.

Jeremy