Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shock Absorber mounting question

1360rallye

Hi Andrew, and welcome to the world of 7s. Yes, a pic would be helpful. When you say "top", do you mean the ali spring-retaining collar? Have you connected the bottom of the shock yet? If not, bear in mind that the shock sits at an angle of about 45 deg, and the top collar will move away quite a bit from the wishbone mounts.

JV

Hi,

I'm at the same stage of my build and have just checked the top of the dampers and they are indeed very close to the top wishbone bolts.

linky

The build manual shows the dampers with the springs at the top but perhaps I should mount the dampers up the other way?

Ian

Edited by - Apollo71 on 11 Mar 2012 16:28:50

Quoting Martin Jeffrey: 
don't fully tighten everything until the car is sitting on it's wheels]
Well, that certainly used to be the case, but the Assembly Guide now says:
Since access to the upper and lower wishbone mountings is restricted by other components installed later in the build process the mounting fasteners must be fully tightened at this point. Hold the wishbones horizontal and tighten the upper wishbone mounting bolts/nuts to 34 Nm and the bottom wishbone to 81 Nm.

Thinking about Andrew's query, I don't think he has a problem. Ian's excellent pics *arrowup* seem to confirm this (I'm away from my 7 right now, so can't check my set-up).

JV

I did torque up everything as per the build manual but having read stuff online I was unsure!

However I think I can leave the radiator and front ARB off until the engine is in and I can lower the car to the floor!

Does this seem a practical solution?

Ian

It's much easier to torque up the front suspension fastners without the engine in place. But you need to do it with the weight of the engine on the supension.

So get someone to stand in the engine bay whilst you use the torque wrench. Job done.

Quoting Jason Fletcher: 
Not sure you will get the ARB on with the wishbones in place.

J

You can get the front ARB on and off with everything in place (except the nose cone and bonnet). Racers regularly change them in the collecting area before a race, if conditions are changeable.

Jez

Thanks Ian for the excellent camera work. Seems like I can cross off that question and substitute the "should I follow the manual and tighten the wishbone mounts?". Still, two days into the build I'm pretty pleased with progress and getting a stream of neighbours asking "What's that your building?". Will start that build bog this week - got to try and keep up with Ian...

Andrew