Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car wont start after it's winter rest

RogueVector

Car wont start. At first the engine turned over but then it didn't bite. On 2nd attempt there was just clicking noises from the starter motor.

I removed battery and put it on the charger but it says it's 100% (it was disconnected for the last 5 months). On trickle or fast charge it says it's full in like 5 seconds.

Reconnected battery - same thing - lots of clicking.

Tried pushing car back and forth in neutral and in first. In neutral it moves 6 ft or more. In 1st about 6 inches - then I think I am pushing against compression - but as the car did turn over a few times on the first attempt.

If it's push fully forward in 1st and then I try to start it (with the car now in neutral) the starter just makes one click.

Sounds like a new starter motor? but any opinions.

The Car is a 125 Sigma on an 60 plate.

Thanks so far. I've tried putting the car in 5th and pushing it forwards - it goes about 6 inches or so and then you feel a clunk which repeats every 6 inches. If you put the car in 2nd the clunk gets closer together.

Would it be right to think the starter is now jammed?

If you try the lights and main beam etc - they all look very good and now dimming down over time. So I think the battery is ok.

Any opinions? Loosen the starter motor and give it a wiggle see if it snaps back?

My Astra battery died the other week ... it started up and got us to the supermarket close by. After loading up it just went ...click! The lights when turned on shone bright but the battery was dead for starting..... If the starter was fine before it was put up for the winter chances are its fine now ..... I put my money on the battery ... I got a banner battery from a motor factors for £50 for the Seven . After changing the Astras it fired up immediately and been ok since.... incidently the Astra battery charged up too!!! ....maybe take it out and take it to a battery supplier for a test ...if its ok then at least you have taken one thing out of the edquation. *wavey*

Thanks everyone. I am going to replace the battery first as that seems the most likely cause - and it at least eliminates one variable.

I tried charging the battery again this afternoon and it managed to turn the engine over albeit slowly much like the first time - so I think the battery is goosed.

I'll get a replacement battery and give it a go in the new few days.

Quoting Aeroscreens: 
I just 'amended' the standard Banner battery tray so that the smaller battery is able to lay down. See here, you'll need to scroll down.....

Yea, but look what it did to your engine *eek* *tongue*

I did the same though, and my engine was fine *wink*

here

here

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to confirm that it was the battery. Thanks everyone.

I went for the Ultramax (actually a Yuasa was delivered to the same spec and dimensions). I fitted it and used some polysterene to make up the blank space.

Car started first time and I've saved some weight too. Nice :-)

Hi all, my battery has just died also. What would the advantage be of the utramax over the banner battery that CC supplys or is it just cost?

Is there an advantage to sealed batteries for cars that are driven less frequently?

I now have a small solar pannel that I am going to fit to the garage roof to keep her topped up :)