Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres

PJT

I have a 10 year old 1.6 Super Sport shod with Avon ZV1 185/60R14. Not only are these very skittish in any sort of damp conditions but they are coming to the end of their useful life, although still road legal. I was thinking of Dunlop CR500 but am told you can't get them in R14 size. Is this right? If so, can anyone suggest a good alternative? It's only for road use as my wife thinks tracks are dangerous - even though I point out that, unlike on normal roads, cars are all (most of the time!) going in the same direction! Anyway, at nearly 70 it's probably not the time to start as my old reactions ain't wot they used to be!! Please can you help on some new boots? Thanks.

PS Someone suggested Dunlop Fast Response at £56 each. Any thoughts?

For 14" wheels, your options are:

Avon ZV3 - standard issue on 7s and not highly rated

Toyo R888 - highly rated

Yokohama A021 - highly rated

Yokohama A048 - highly rated

Yokohama A539 - popular tyre for sprinters I believe (not sure if you can get them in 185/60 though)

Anything that is designed for a tintop, like the ZV1 and ZV3, will probably be no good

The CR500s are Avons, by the way! and rather pricey...

the Yokohama a539s would be a mild upgrade. I run these on my race car and they're better than the old Avon CR322s and I expect they'll be better than the ZV1s, which have a pretty poor reputation amongst seveners!

the Yokohama a021s would be much more grippy, and still reasonably priced, but much less durable. Superb in the wet.

Yokohama a048s and Toyo r888s are stickier, higher performance tyres but the dry grip comes at the cost of wet grip. They do not clear water like a fully treaded tyre does.

Polley Motorsport are a good sourceof the Yokohama range- give them a ring for sizing and pricing.

ETA: If I were you I'd 'upgrade' to 13" wheels and I'd fit 185/70r13 a021r's from polley which are a steal at £50 each. The taller tyre will (arguably) improve handling and ride quality.

Editted (Again!) To Add: I wouldn't touch the Dunlop Fastresponse with a barge pole. Any ordinary tyre which is designed for a car which weighs at least twice as much as a Caterham will probably be no good, as MOCA2CV said *arrowup* Yes, the a539 is an ordinary road car tyre too- but at least other 7ers have tried them and found them okay.

Edited by - James_Russell on 24 Feb 2012 12:44:59

• Area Representative

Yoko 21R from Polley Motorsport.

http://www.polleymotorsport.co.uk/polley/catalogue_tyres_final.asp?id=35&manufacturer=Yokohama

Available as 185/60R14.

Fab in the wet. Good in the dry. Reliable. Predictable.

For all weather on the road.

A good step up from ZV1.

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 24 Feb 2012 15:24:23

AO 21 R again *thumbup* I use the seven all year round and they are very predictable and give no surprises. I changed from some ancient avons that Ben Hur had been using. You will notice a bit more road noisey n gritty flicky due to gripability and a slightly lower mpg due to smileability,grinability, and all round yipeeness. 😬

LE0's an 8 year old SV 140 with 90k on the clock, driven 365 days a year regardless of the weather.

I've got 16 inch wheels and have tried A021s and 539s (ZV3s were the original fit), but find that the 888s give me the best all-round prformance in all weathers, but only by a very small margin over the A021s. The 888s do seem to last a lot longer than the others, though.

Another thumb's up to A021's a great all round tyre, and you will probably get a decent 6k per set out of them unless driving hard.

no matter what you fit it's liable to give a totally new feel to the 7 as 10 year rubber is well past it's best.

if SWMBO won't let you do track day's why not have a go at sprinting.

You only have to go at your pace and your only running by yourself rather than loads of others on track at the same time 😬

There is no upper age limit.

AO21's are good, you have to be going VERY quick on a road to really the notice the difference between them and the 48's.

Note it is ONLY the 185X70X13's that come at the special price of £50...this is due to some sort of deal with some sort of race series...

as an example 185X60X13's are £80-£90 each.