Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Half doors and windscreen mounted wind deflectors

wingnutLP

The doors on a caterham look... crap!

So I was wondering would carbon half doors and wind deflectors mounted on the side of the windscreen keep most of the wind/rain out?

Can you even get windscreen mounted wind deflectors?

And if you did where would you mount the mirrors.

Or am I stuck with doors?

A deflector and helmets is not an option...

Hi Wingnut - yes you can get wind deflectors here - you'll alos have to order hinges / pins..

I have used them & they're okay for short blats / slower speeds when you really (I mean really) want to feel the wind in your hair... At higher speeds, you'll soon tire as you feel the wind being sucked out of you... Can't personally comment on the half doors, never tried them...

I agree the doors are not that cool, but they do make the drive more pleasant...

Re mirrors, there are a load of different options, some using the windscreen support mount bolts etc..

Have a look at mine here..

There are a few threads on this here if you have a search & also one or two on PH ;-)

Cheers,

Neil.

"The doors on a caterham look... crap!"

Hey, steady on WingnutLP, that's my favourite car you're talking about. They do a satisfactory job, don't weigh much and have anti-burst locks, what more do you need, quite in keeping with the ethos of the car.

However, I can see your mind is made up, so what I would do in your position is buy a pair of Caterhams wind deflectors, but after fitting them, take them off again and bend the lower rounded section in more, using boiling water, so that the deflectors stand out more, this will keep substantially more wind off, then buy a pair of Caterham adapters that screw into the middle screw hole of the stanchion and attach the mirrors off your crap doors. You can then decide to fit a very expensive half door, or go to a local canvas stitcher and get a neat little canvas/PVC half door made which will pop onto the existing fixings.

And no more talk of Caterhams crap doors ....... please. 😔 😬

..but IMHO, a windscreen and half-doors jut looks so wrong

I know you don't want to go aero, but there is an awful lot more wind buffeting with a windscreen and no doors/half doors that you'll ever get with an aeroscreen. The fact that the wind deflectors are often found for sale tells it's own story......

As has been mentioned above, over a certain speed the air is sucked out of the cockpit and it is not a comfortable experience. Been there done that.

• Area Representative

I understand your point and one of Caterham's little foibles is that they don't want to improve these ancillary things (or so it appears). In theory you can not use a tonneau and doors, in practice you need to cut the tonneau to feed the popper tag through. When driving solo, it's great to have the passenger tonneau on and it would be very odd just having a driver's side "door" (and I use the passenger side mirror).

Before you purchase, think about what mirrors you will use and where you wish them to be mounted. Find out where the bottom of the wind deflectors will rest on the half-doors. Caterham are unlikely to have done this as the half-doors are supposed to go with an aeroscreen and not in the combination you are planning.

The general concensus from what I have seen is :-

Full screen + full doors = open air motoring

Aero-screen + half doors = open air motoring, with a bit more exposure

Full screen withouf full doors = open air motoring with serious amounts of buffeting at speed, difficulty to breathe, etc. These symptoms are reduced by use of deflectors etc, but still not fully alleviated.

Try driving the car with screen and no doors.

(Standing by to get flamed by the massed hoardes of advocates of the perspex wind-deflector).

Dave

Alan - the stanchions and brackets are home spun by the previous owner and the mirrors are an old set of 4" motorcycle roundies ;)

Nice job me thinks - he was handy on a lath... Only prob is not being able to open the doors fully which is not actually too much of a worry day to day.

Paul,

However, I can see your mind is made up, so what I would do in your position is buy a pair of Caterhams wind deflectors, but after fitting them, take them off again and bend the lower rounded section in more, using boiling water, so that the deflectors stand out more

I know 100% what you mean but have never had the bottle to attempt bending the lower portion in! So, please could you advise on the procedure you used as I'm anxious not to snap them in half!!

Thanks *wavey*

Quoting wingnutLP: 
With an aeroscreen do I need to wear a hemet to protect against stones or will goggles do?

Well, there's a question..... Do a search in the archives and you'll find plenty on the subject. I reckon it's a pretty even split on those that prefer wear helmets to those that prefer goggles.

Me? Always worn goggles.

Foggy and anyone else interested in making those little wind deflectors work better.

First of all go for a gentle drive without doors and with the deflectors in place, and gently push the drivers one out until it actually makes a difference, it will be more than you think.

This will give you an idea of how much you will need to bend the perspex in at the bottom. Boil a kettle and put the hot water in a bowl and immersed the screens, one at a time, into the water, you need only do the lower section that will be bent, then gently bend it by hand. You will be surprised that it is quite easy to form, then try it and do the same again until you get it just right. Easy peasy.