Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tie Rod tidying up

AndrewGP

As part of my winter jobs I want to tidy this up:

http://thumbsnap.com/s/na5tR3Gd.jpg

What's the best way to do it? I have some smooth finish black hammerite, would this be ok or would satin be a better bet?

Also I'm fairly sure I can't paint the threads and the track rod end! Anything I can do with them or do I just replace with new?

Thanks, Andrew

Satin smooth Hammerite is a better match to powder coating. I would use a small wire brush or brass brush on the threads and wipe them with ACF50 - wonderful stuff. You can paint the track rod end housing, or clean it and wipe it with ACF50.

My track control arms have some split black rubber hose over them to protect them.

A couple of years ago I went to the Newark kit car show and parked next to guy with a very nice CSR. He showed me the answer to this problem.

Rigid corrugated plastic tubing of the requisite dia, slit lengthways and clipped on. Looks great and easily removed when required.

I purchased some at the show, fitted it and Roberts your brother's dad.

Yu get the corrugated tubing from Garden Centres that do pond equipment. The tubing is for water pumps etc. Just cut to length and spring them on and zip tie. ACF50 is the dogs nadgers for the front suspension. They come up shiny like new and keeps the weather out .... it dulls after a while so just re wipe it on.

I've always used self-amalgamating tape for this.

If you're careful when you apply it (with a bit of extra stretch at the start/end and care stepping up the locknut onto the TRE) it keeps the water out and so the thread/locknuts emerge good as new; once it's amalgamated it looks quite good (IMHO) and is easy to remove. Obviously it's not re-usable but is very cheap and a single roll from screwfix will last many applications.

Ben