Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Play in QR steering wheel

Roger Ford

I no longer have a quick release wheel but on my previous se7en I took the play out of the s/wheel by using an automatic centre punch on the splines. This effectively spreads each spline and increases the interference fit. It might sound a bit balmy but it does work very well.

Be sure to only spread one spline at a time or you could end up not being able to fit the wheel on at all (the guy who taught me this trick did exactly that and had to replace the Shaft *redface*).

Be interested to hear how you get on *thumbup*

Be lucky!!

Martin

• Area Representative

If you are thinking of changing your quick release for an alternative then this one would solve any play issues as it doesn't have any splines....

When they were 7 tips the boss was sold pre welded onto a Caterham top steering column, the web page for Meteor doesn't make it clear if this is still the case, but it's an impressive bit of kit, you don't even need to line the wheel up to put it back on! *cool*

All the best

Richard

As I said in the third post, I can't use one of them due to clearance issues. I've looked hard at the Rapfix one, and like the concept (though not the price, which seems to go up every time I look at it). But the shaft is thicker than the standard one, and my Race Technology Dash1 sits very low over the shaft, and I don't think it would work with the Rapfix one unless I pulled the wheel another couple of inches closer to me - which would likely be too close.

Also means either buying another shaft, or getting PlaysKool to weld the current one.

Dear Weeman

Yes indeed the added grease tip idea works for a while. My QR wheel improved when I did this. I am interested in your semi permanent solution you offered, but what is an automatic centre punch *confused* and where do I get one from? I assume this gives a consistent punch mark when struck.

Simon

• Area Representative

Hi Bluespeed,

An automatic centre punch is one that doesn't need to be hit with a hammer, you just push it hard and a spring and latch arrangement gives a consistent mark each time as the force applied is suddenly dropped onto the point.

They can be bought in all sorts of tool shops but for starters you might want to try here

All the best

Richard