Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Numpty question... Tool kit

the.vet

Good evening, sorry if this has been already been covered ad nauseum before! I'm currently trying to persuade SWIMBO that it would be a good idea to get a 7 and realise my boyhood dream...

Luckily she works for a tool distribution company so first question - what would I need for general maintenence of a (fingers crossed) 1.4 or 1.6 K Seven? Not come across anything on a trawl of the archives...

Cheers guys,

Graeme

I would start with a set of metric and AF combination spanners, and 3/8 drive metric and AF socket set.

You'll need a torque wrench and hexagonal drivers too.

I've also used all sorts of 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 inch drive metric and AF sockets, AF spanners, tool to remove oil filters. etc....

You'll need an allen key to cut down to remove the gearbox plug 3/8 for 6spd or 10mm for 5spd.

Basically you can never have too many tools 😬

Duncan

Yeah - just remember that you'll need metric for most of the engine etc. and a chunk of imperial for the chassis (if you are thinking of the k-series era).

Flex-head ratchet spanners can be very useful if they're in your range of tools.

For on-the-road stuff, a mini ratchet set with the usual range of hex-head and screwdriver inserts can solve a *lot* of common problems too.

As above.

Halfords Pro flexihead ratchet spanners are often recommended. Halfords often have cheap offers on good tool sets, sometimes web only. But you have a different option...

The smallest size socket set that will do the job is usually the most convenient.

T handle hex wrenches are much faster than little folding things.

Good needle-nose pliers and cutters.

Multimeter, doesn't need anything fancy, but audible continuity test saves time. Automotive crimping tool. Box of assorted connectors.

Good axle stands. Low entry jack.

Magnetic trays. Pickup thingy.

Multitool: I use a Victorinox Spirit.

And a posh box with drawers on ball bearings. Apparently this affects the quality of all known jobs...

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 15 Nov 2011 20:46:40

tools.. axle stands and something to get the car on to them, plus a slidey thing with wheels to lie under the car, very restful, and an inspection light that works on both 12v or mains. Lack of access to the underneath of my car is my greatest regret (which I am working on).

other less common tools I see in car work shops:

a press (ten tons?) plus tool bits

a (proper, not miniature) compressor, great for cleaning as well as other stuff.

a vice (as many as possible...)

a grinding wheel

a lift

loctite (the one for use on bolts and screws)

an a million cable ties.

(I am leaving out a lathe, mig welder and sandblasting cabinet as I have never seen these in a private workshop, yet.).

Welcome to our midst and congrats on a good first post question generating interesting content.

Linky. Yup, get that. Great tools and fantastic VfM. Might be worth buying soon just in case they put it back up for Christmas (it spends about a third of the year at "half price" another third at "£80 off" and the rest of the year pretending to be £200. On top of that you'll need an Imperial spanner set (though actually the metric ones are VERY close in most sizes) - ratchet if you can afford them - screwdrivers, pliers, side cutters (get good ones), torque wrench and the electrical gubbins previously mentioned.

Edit: wrong linky.

Edited by - Roger Ford on 15 Nov 2011 21:52:14

Sounds simple but one of the best tools I found was an old sheet of hardboard, any reasonable size. Just lay it under the car shiny side up it makes the best garage creeper. So low you will hardly need to jack up the car (well maybe just a little) and enables access to all areas without the wheeled versions acting like a supermarket trolley. Flip it over at night and it catches any drips!

I sealed and painted the concrete floor of my garage, then laid old carpet. Quite comfortable without a creeper. The carpet gets thrown away when it's absorbed enough fluids.

I've never solved the problems of inspection lights. They end up being balanced precariously, and creating shadows in just the wrong places. If I started again I'd paint more of the walls white, have lots of ceiling lamps and a collection of battery LED lamps. Any recommendations?

Jonathan

These LED inspection lights from Aldi are great for a tenner. Rechargeable and come with both a mains and car charger. I use mine in the garage, camping, shutting the chickens up at night etc. etc

They were a special a week or so ago, but they might still have them *thumbup*

A rubber hammer is also useful, and you need a big socket (42mm IIRC) for the rear hubs. A pop riveter is also useful.

Latex gloves, barrier cream, safety glasses and Swarfega also useful *smile*

Depending on your location and state of the garage, you might also want some rat / mouse traps / bait to keep the wildlife at bay. Our shed at the back of the garage is also a feed store for the chickens so attracts rats and mice.

Edited by - 7heavensoon on 16 Nov 2011 09:16:51

Thanks for the links.

Yes, agree about the protective bits. I find nitrile gloves more convenient than latex. Paper towels. Oil absorbent mats.

Moving away from tools: a good sink, hot water, towels, radio make it all more comfortable. Add kettle or 'frig to taste. Probably 'net access from here on. I deliberately don't have a 'phone in the garage. Whiteboard? Vast excess of power sockets over what you think you'll need.

Jonathan

Cheers everyone, really useful advice for a complete beginner like me!

The other half can get all Draper Expert tools for super cheap prices (1/3rd of list price) so I'm thinking this is my best option.

Just need to get the final clearance to buy the car to go with the tools now...

Graeme

Draper Expert stuff is pretty good, but it's usually available for about 1/2 the RRP online. The Halfords set looks somewhere between these two here. The first has spanners but no 1/4 inch drive, the second has 1/4 inch but no spanners. That second kit would come out at £105 at 2/3rds off. It's got more sockets than the Halfords one, but you'll still need to buy spanners.