Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heater

Boris

My heater has developed a minor water leak (dripping into foot well)

Have looked and it seems to be a sealed unit, I guess its the matrix but since you don't seem to be able to get at it I've checked with C.C. and a new one is £255

does anyone know of another source or how to get the existing one apart?

I'm in Spain right now so have bypassed the heater but it is nice in the winter, even so £255!!

Please be aware I will be slow to respond as I'm touring and not sure when I will get wifi next.

I had the heater matrix develop a leek on my TVR Taimar years ago. Similar set up to the hearer on the 7. Had to remove heater box from the car. Cut open the box to remove the matrix. You can then either have it repaired or replace the matrix (cheaper than replacing whole box) then just put matrix back in box and fiberglassed box back together and sprayed. Hope this helps.

John

I replaced my matrix about 3yrs ago. Bought direct from Clayton in Coventry £32.00 plus delivery of £10.00 came the next day. Part No EP5129. Tel No 02476 691916.

Once you have disconnected the heater pipes and removed the heater it's quite simple to strip down.

Hope Clayton are still there.

Good Luck Rob *smile*

Well i found the heater is one of the most usefull parts of a car, it means her in doors will like the car, as a result you will not get ear ache and even go with you on blats and events. I do know some might not want the boss with them but it will let you have any car you want especialy when they have been in a car with no heater in winter

I've just had the exact same problem. As for suppliers It very much depends on the age of your car as Clayton told me that they stopped supplying heaters to Caterham in about 2002/3, (mines a 2005 car). Caterham wouldn't tell me their supplier so had to bite the bullet and buy a new one (wince). When we took the old heater out there was a sticker with the suppliers name on (same as the present new heater) which I now can't recall, but is KT or KY Components or something similar.

Brian

It says KL Automotive on the heater, I've now found out that they are now part of Elite Automotive.

The guy I spoke to there knew nothing of the 7 heater and seemed only interested in trade bulk sales.

I have emailed them but no reply as yet.

I'll look when I'm home and see if I can get the housing apart (didn't look promising) if I can I'll try welding it before I buy one from Caterham.

Hi Boris.

I had the same problem about 3 years ago. I stripped the heater down to find exactly what you have found.

KL Automotive were originally in Ripon Derbyshire, but bought out by Elite Automotive. They have a branch in Tamworth which is where I am. I went to the branch with the heater matrix and they tested it for me which showed it was completely caput. They explained to me that as part of the matrix is plastic, where the 2 pipes are attached, the anti-freeze over time attacks the material and it cannot be repaired. They had about 60 of these new units on the shelf and told me that they had no buyer for them due to Caterham changing the design. They do however, have a minimum order value and it aint cheap. But still much better value than a complete new unit from CC. The outer casing is held together with little black trim type clips which you will almost certainly break. If you want a replacement for these, let me know, as I have enough to do the job.

I'm actually not too worried about a heather but often go out very early when its cold and as on this trip where we were above the clouds in the Pyrenees SWMBO will not tolerate not having heat.

Stuart, I'll look at this when I get home (next Wednesday) if I need clips I'll get straight back to you then. Right now the cars sat in the sun drying out after an almighty storm last night (we're in the camargue) had to remove the carpets, seats etc luckily the car was on high ground, at 3:15 this morning the track I had to cross to get to the car had turned into a river and the half hood was not enough to keep her dry. The farm we're at had just been hit by lightening, now 42 degrees so not too worried about a heater.