Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow to Zetec costs ???

jonboylaw

I know several of you out there have done this conversion so I am wondering if anyone can give me a "realistic" price for this conversion.

I see brand new engines coming in at about £700, but what about the ancilliaries and fuelling? I am guessing I would also need to move to an injected fuel tank if I go for throttle bodies...

Currently I am running a Roger King 160 spec xflow (AX block) on twin 40's which I would sell to fund. So it would be my winter project...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno about the engine but a friend is buying one such for a Reliant Scimitar so he will know all about it soon. *smile*

I can however answer your fuel tank question, what you need is a swirl pot. This will let you keep your existing tank. It's not complicated, you can buy or make one. All it is is a small bowl that you feed with a fuel feed and return to the tank, and an outlet to the injectors. Its function is to ensure that if you are in a corner or braking and the fuel feed from the tank is interrupted as a result of the tank contents sloshing about, there is enough fuel in the swirl pot to keep the engine running until normal service is resumed. This function is met by the float chamber in a carbed car, so that give you an idea of the size required.

Would the real Zetec please stand up!!

Hi. Don't go mad at first as It can get costly,you can run it on carbs until you wish to upgrade again to injectors. Then cams/ mapping/ roller barrels etc....

James whiting advise to me (put the engine in & enjoy it then mod later.

Well I'm still enjoying it & not modified it yet.

Very different car but all the better for it!!!!

All you need to run carbs is the Raceline inlet manifold & electronic fuel pump.

Pump £100

inlet manifold Raceline aprox £160

Wet sump pan kit Raceline £400

1800 wAter pump

Alternator bracket (use your alternator)

Starter motor £100

Engine mounts

Clutch kit- depends on wot your running at present.

Exhaust manifold & system.

A quick call to Raceline can sort most of this & cost for you.

Don't be put off. All these just bolt together. Go for it

Not sure on true costs as i have been buying bits for years, but ecu (megajolt is good for this if running carbs), exhaust, sump, engine mounts and flywheel/clutch will all be needed. If you want effective, rather than bling, try Retroford, it should save a fair bit. I am using the ford thermostat housing, rather than a water rail as it allows the engine to cool as Ford intended with a proper bypass circuit. Your 40's will run to about 180hp with a rejet if you want to avoid the cost of injection.

I just ebayed my stock 1700 ax supersprint engine and got £900.00 and that was in need of work. So you should see a fair bit more for yours.

I have bills for £2400.00, and probably need to spend another £500 ish to get it running, but that is for mostly used but good quality parts, apart from the engine, alternator mounts and inlet manifold which were new and from Raceline.

Think i costed equivalent new parts, with reuse of my webers at just short of £5000.00

The Zetecs on the other thread are at £654 + del (£65) and are:

"brand new ford zetec 2.0 litre engine...

this engine was produced by ford for a limited sport eddition for ford focus 2002-4 but ford changed plans

...comes complete with throttle body, engine loom, injectors and fuel rail,

inlet and exhaust manifolds, leads and plugs,coil pack,water pump, clutch, flywheel,thermostat housing,oil filter,sump"

I think that's a steal. Add an ECU and you have an injection engine ready to go. I know this isn't the end of it but it looks very good to me. It must be the only decent thing to come out of Hull, with the exception of the M62 westbound.

I've used the place in Hull for my last 1.8, comes complete with the relevant paperwork for the DVLA V5 Change.

As to costs it's all a matter of what your after, you can do the swap for around £1500 whilst running on Carbs but as already said elsewhere you can spend £5k on a full blown injection with all the associated mods.

I'm running on Carb's & enjoying every minute of it. i've got wiring diagrams for the megajolt and also a drawing for the cooling circuit using the original thermostat housing.

Drop me a blatmail if your interested.

Thanks guys, I am starting to build up a picture.

I have a 5 speed box and bell housing, good altenator, twin 40's, mega jolt, electric fuel pump. Clutch was new 1k miles ago so would possibly be ok if it fits...

So, would need:

Engine

Mounts

Water Rail

Sump

Manifold (inlet and exhaust)

Altenator bracket

water pump pully

hoses

bits and bobs....

Hmmm, it is starting to look tempting....

I think you'll be needing new primaries and new throttle linkage as well.... and don't under estimate how much all the bits and bobs will all add up to.

I was lazy and went the Raceline route, but as my 1800cc x/flow has gone bang (well documented on this forum) I stripped it down and managed to sell everything individually (including the spare bits) with the exception of the carbs which I retained. In fact the only bits I didn't sell in front of the gearbox was the cast iron bellhousing (not sure who want such a lump of iron - 10kg compared to 4kg for an ali one), con rods, tappets, and the Pacet fan. I think the sale raised nearly £2k *thumbup*.

If you blatmail me I'll send you an honest breakdown of the costs tomorrow.

Hubby did that swop - cost ~ £1300 or so. though the ECU cost is Not included in that figure. He has TB's, and a standard 2litre engine, most of the bits came from Retro Ford & Westfield, forget Raceline they are OTT on prices

Thanks all,

Retro-ford seem to be the boys, they even supply a Zetec Exhaust Manifold so I could use my current down pipes etc... This is starting to look a lot like a winter project.

Out of interest, what is the relative weight difference between an AX Xflow and a Blacktop Zetec ?

Now how much is the Xflow worth these days ?

Mine came to around £3k but that was with a second hand engine and mixing parts from Dunnell and Raceline.

I think you need a different breather box on the side too and from distant memory a different flywheel and clutch?! That might have been for the silvertop I started out with though. It was the Exhaust, ECU and loom that had me coughing the big bucks. I did the aluminium bellhousing too.

Hi Lads I fitted a second hand 1800 Zetec into my 2005 caterham from new which I overhauled and used mainly Raceline bits like the Sump which is a must if you do track days, I could have got a bodged and welded Zetec sump from my local Tiger dealer but it didn't hold 5 liters of oil and it had no baffles in it, so I prefered to pay the extra and get the Racline one I have since fitted a 2 Litra Zetec, as for the cost of the convertion I agree with what most Lads say £1500 to £2,000, I personaly prefer Throttle bodys and I am running Jenves with Emerald 3 Map ECU as I do a lot of miles touring Euroupe and the Eco setting on the ECU give 35 miles to the gallon so its well worth spending the extra and 50,000 mile on its been great 😬 Regards Paul

Joining the 16v revolution mate? 😬

As you know, I sold my Xflow engine with ancillaries, carbs, alloy bellhousing and MJ kit for £1700. Maybe I could have got more if I'd waited, but probably I would have driven the car for a couple of years, then either upgraded the motor (as I have!) or sold the car on to buy a newer, more powerful version. Trouble is, I see opportunities, get a bit giddy, and go off on tangents lol! *thumbup*

Thanks all.

Does anyone know of anybody who wants to buy a good spec, AX blocked, dry sumped 1800 Xflow ?

:)

Edit: Yes Les, looking for a winter project to do and a new BlackTop is definitely tempting. Don't suppose any of your mates are looking for a Xflow...

May see you over the summer?

Edited by - jonboylaw on 1 Jun 2011 21:35:03

Forgot to mention; I was chatting with a customer yesterday who bought a friend's Westfield SE running xflow on 48 webers and 180 bhp. This was a serious racecar/hillclimb machine and he only paid £3k for the whole car. It's a bit of a handful on the road apparently!

Hope to make BTTC at Jockhill in the 'new' Seven lol! She's coming together at last!

I know another Westie owner looking for a 4 speed gearbox, I'll ask if he's interested in your engine too. *thumbup*

Edited by - LesG on 1 Jun 2011 21:41:29

For a Zetec-R (Blacktop)

Any advice on the Sump requirements. I see the raceline offering but that is a major cost, what alternatives are out there? Also on the alternator and waterpump fittings for a Blacktop, is there anything special required here. Finally the water-rail, I do not have a heater fitted so any advice on an alternative to the raceline would be appreciated.

Blacktop crate engine is priced at £735 + £15 delivery.

Jon, you can quite easily fabricate your own water rail utilising one of your existing xflow water hoses cut down, a length of alloy tube, and a remote thermostat housing (Landrover for example). Not as pretty I admit, but cheap and more than cheerful!

Les.