Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Aero Filler Cap?

Rullingen

Peter,

I partly agree with you (although I'm surprised if it weighs more than the standard cap). However, my reason for wanting to change is because the body paint around the existing fuel cap is reacting quite badly with the petrol and I don't now how else to prevent the damage from spreading.

With the aero cap, one can choose to not lock the cap (and thus not need the key), but with the standard cap one must always use the key to remove the cap.

Sorry, no idea if the hose is interchangeable between the two.

Edited by - BBL on 29 Apr 2011 07:12:11

Quoting Rullingen: 
I've currently got the standard Rover fuel filler cap and I want to fit an Aero cap.

I've obviously got a filler neck already, but is it compatible with the Aero cap (HERE) or do I need to buy the whole kit (HERE) with the neck included? *confused*

I guess the guys in Dartford will know when you call them to order *tongue*

Edited by - RJ on 30 Apr 2011 12:58:47

Linds at Seven Speed has a solution that involves fitting a larger aero cap to eliminate the slow-fill problems of the standard aero cap.

But I understand that CC now has a re-designed standard aero cap that also eliminates this problem, and does not require a new, larger hole in the rear panel. I've got one on order.

What a timely question Rullingen I am in exactly the same position and not sure whether to go Caterham cap only or Seven speeds offering. The filling issue is the crux. Mine is a fuel injected 2001 K series SV with original cap. She fills up ok if i take care. I would be very interested in what direction you go. As things stand I was going to ring Caterham to see what their cap or cap/pipe offers for the cost and if the refilling issue is resolved. I like to buy Caterham where poss as it supports the future of the car...so long as the kit works. *wink*

It is possible to fit the aero filler cap to the original neck, but you do have to a little work with a Dremmel.

It doesn't take long and neither does it compromise the seal of the cap. The neck that you buy in the kit has been modified in the same way but you're paying nearly thirty quid extra for the privilege.

Be lucky!!

Martin

I like to buy Caterham where poss as it supports the future of the car...so long as the kit works.wink smiley

When a cottage industry owned by a family, yes. The last 6 years and more so the last few days show that the future of Caterham is no longer in the realms of whether one buys a flap accessory from their parts dept.

If you are going to modify your car, then it is nice to use the best parts available and to have a choice.

Peter

Quoting RJ: 
Quoting Rullingen: 
I've currently got the standard Rover fuel filler cap and I want to fit an Aero cap.

I've obviously got a filler neck already, but is it compatible with the Aero cap (HERE) or do I need to buy the whole kit (HERE) with the neck included? *confused*

Quoting RJ: 
Quoting Rullingen: 

And it just happened again

What's happening? Answer: I hit the wrong button. All these smart "new" features...

*redface* *redface* *redface* *redface* *redface* *redface* *redface* *redface* *redface* *redface* *redface* *redface* *redface* *redface*

Edited by - RJ on 30 Apr 2011 12:58:27

Edited by - RJ on 30 Apr 2011 13:00:35

Quoting Rullingen: 
Thanks Martin. *thumbup*

Is it possible to easily describe the modification necessary?

to be honest not really, but once you have the aero cap and the neck in your hands it will all become very obvious. It's a simple case of removing a metal lip that sits just inside the filler end of the neck.

Sorry I can't be of more use other than to say that if I can do it, anyone can 😬

Be lucky!!

Martin

Whilst I do like to support the peeps at CC by buying their products I did add a caveat ...'if it works *smile*' If the one they do is twice the price and doesnt work very well theres no point buying. If it works well I can then choose who to give my money to. Didnt really want to aggravate anyone over it. Sorry if I did. I havent got a Dremmell. Would a very hungry Hamster be able to nibble the bit off? would be cheaper than a Dremmell *wavey*