Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Millwood wrap-around CF wing protectors

Doug

I'm now at that point, having fitted my new rear wings, to fit the Millwood wrap-around wing protectors.

Given that they are nice things, I'd like to fit them as neatly as possible in a way which will enable them to be transferred to other wings, if necessary.

Is there a way to keep the side edges of the protectors, which wrap around the sides of the wings, close together? I imagine some sort of silicone sealant might work.

The only way I envisage doing it is with self tapping screws but I'm not sure where to get nicely made, quality ones (probably black anodised ones?).

All suggestions welcome!

How ever you decide to fit them, I would seriously recommend that you cover them with a paint protection film. The wrap around guards from Millwood look good when new but the quality is questionable.

They lasted about 50 miles on my car, I've since fitted 3M film but the damage was already done.

If you don't protect them you won't have to worry about removing them at a later date to fit them elsewhere because they will have been shredded.

'Carbon bits' are in the throws of producing this style of wing guard and I for one can't wait.

Be lucky!!

Martin

This thread started me thinking about stone protectors.

If they look awful after 50 miles without a protective film, do they really serve a purpose?

Has anyone tried just applying the protective film straight to the wing and not bothering with the so called protectors?

I haven't driven my car on the road yet, so my stainless ones look OK at the moment, but I'm resigned to them being battle scarred very soon 😬

Duncan

Quoting weeman: 
How ever you decide to fit them, I would seriously recommend that you cover them with a paint protection film. The wrap around guards from Millwood look good when new but the quality is questionable.

They lasted about 50 miles on my car, I've since fitted 3M film but the damage was already done.

If you don't protect them you won't have to worry about removing them at a later date to fit them elsewhere because they will have been shredded.

'Carbon bits' are in the throws of producing this style of wing guard and I for one can't wait.

Be lucky!!

Martin

Fit them with 4 x M5 black alloy/plastic nuts fasteners. The sort of thing that is sold to fix M/C fairings. So they can be removed PDQ when the new wings arrive.

Millwoods quality??? I bought a pair about 8 years ago & they were retired in 2006 for new wings with paint protection film only. The Millwoods Protectors will be refitted once the new wings have "caught up".

So, in effect, protection film is better than the Millwoods c/f guards!

Now I wonder how much better Carbon Bits offering will be?

Edited by - Mick Day on 10 Apr 2011 20:41:21

I've had Millwood protectors on for about 6000 miles and they do have chips in which I expect on something which is a protector. The wings underneath are fine. Easily fitted with silicone and easy to remove if need be.

Don't think there's anything wrong with the quality especially for the money.