Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Need a battery for my 7

BenF

I planned to come to work in the 7 today as it's MoT is due tomorrow and it hasn't been driven since autumn.

Unfortunately, the battery looks like it's dead. It was charged last night but the car would barely turn over and I get the dreaded click. It holds 12.8v across the terminals but in the past, I'm sure I've seen 13v+.

It's my own fault for leaving it in the car for 3 months before finally removing it for the winter.

Anyway, can anyone recommend somewhere where I can get a replacement in the Milton Keynes/Buckingham area? Either a Banner or something equivalent (same spec/size)

Edited to add: I'll check the eletrolyte levels when I get home tonight and will clean up the terminals, to see if that helps.

Plus: Is now a good time to upgrade to a Powervamp battery? Any recommended suppliers in Bucks/Oxon? Is there a weight saving when fitting the Powervamp over a Banner?

Thanks, Ben

Edited by - BenF on 11 Mar 2011 08:05:23

Edited by - BenF on 11 Mar 2011 08:18:01

Local battery/motor factors can get them very quickly. Varta do an equivalent at reasonable price, so the coce "Banner 53034 or equivalent" will get you started quickly. AT the end of the day all conventional car batteries are the same, they jusy come in different sizes with different terminals.

Go Powervamp you won't regret it!

Too late... went to Bedford Battery this lunchtime and got a Banner. It means that the car will be able to get to its MoT tomorrow, which is the most important thing.

Then popped up to Westells and got 10l of Comma 5w50 so that's my 7 shopping list almost done for this month.

Rob,

Mine's a Powervamp 25 racing battery, much better cranking than Banner and it's sealed so you can lie it flat if you want to and of coarse it's maintenance free. Powervamp say they should have a 8-10 year life.

Edited by - Pete-B on 14 Mar 2011 23:00:43

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone know what the options are to the Banner, other than Powervamp? E.g. does anyone know the Varta product code? Another Sevener recommended an "896" type, but I bought one and though you can (just) persuade it to fit into the battery tray, it's too tall and the bonnet pretty much touches the terminals, so I took it back. Powervamp seems expensive to a skinflint like me ...

Look at the RMD25 from Rally Design *thumbup* ... or another even cheaper supplier ... see recent Bulk Buy thread for details of both suppliers.

Lots of us have fitted them recently. Same height and width, but half the thickness. Make up the gap with a bit of wood (for now !).

Good cheap price too.

Sealed unit ... no acid fill, or top up !

Thanks, SM25T, for that info. I ended up buying a Varta 53030 as it's 30Ah and fits in the battery tray, albeit still with the minor issue of the terminals being the "wrong" way round, like on the RMD25. I opted for 30Ah 'cos the immobiliser seems to take a noticeable current from the battery, enough to reduce it to "won't quite start" status in about 10 days, and I was worried that 20Ah would make this worse. Even though I've now taken the plunge, I'd be interested to know how long the RMD25 lasts without trickle-charging, assuming you've got an immobiliser fitted.

Whatever battery you have it's best to fit a battery cut off (either the red key type, or the green screw type that form one of the battery terminals) as neither will last for more than a few weeks without trickle charging.

The gel-mat batteries, such as the Powervamp/Rally Design, don't like small parasitic loads like immobilisers anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I eventually succumbed to coughing up for a new battery after a couple of inconvenient push starts on blats. Good thing too as it behaved perfectly on 1350 mile tour of Scotland.

Looked at the Yuasa but it be only 26Ah vs Banner 30Ah. Bedford Battery Northampton gave me a tidy discount whereas MK would give me none! So new Banner duly installed.

P