Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR Spare Tyre

jimh

Forgive me if this has been covered previously as I'm sure it must but I could not find an answer and I'm after some advice.

I am planning to take my CSR abroad and I'm slightly concerned that I don't have a spare wheel, just a can of sealant and a small compressor.

Is there any availability of suitable spare tyres in France / Belgium?

I have heard that it is possible to carry a spare front wheel and use that on the rear too but that a spacer is required.

I have read somewhere that you can damage the LSD by using a tyre of incorrect diameter, can anyone confirm if this is correct.

Is it possible to fit a temporary tyre to get the car moving while waiting to get the correct one from CC?

If it is possible then what sizes would be suitable for either front or rear?

Rear tyres are: 245/40-15

Front tyres are: 195/45-15

The rolling circumferences are:

-3.6% = 195/45-15

+2.4% = 205/45-16

-0.1% = 185/60-14

Frankly I wouldn't worry too much.

Punctures are relatively rare and you do still have the sealant.

There are plenty of 15" tyres available from tyre stores which will give you the right rolling radius - no overworking of lsd.

Try playing about with THIS to find the sizes which most closely match and correspond to popular VW and Peugeot models. Keep a note of them on a postit note stuck to the back of your RAC card.

Much lighter and simpler and more economical than engineering a solution for carting a great lump of a spare part around with you.

Enjoy your touring.

Peter

Edited by - 6speedmanual on 7 Jan 2011 18:41:07

Sorry Peter, whilst you have suggested a great little tyre size calculator, personally, I think Jim has every reason to worry.

The tyres fitted to the CSR, especially the rear, are unique in size, and no-one other than Avon are making that size. Sure a narrower tyre can be stretched across the rim, but it is no way a permanent solution, and if you rip a sidewall out of a rear tyre, I doubt that a contintal tyre supplier will be able to obtain an Avon at short notice nor even at long notice either!

Before anyone says how unlikely it is that they will damge a tyre so badly that it can't be repaired, I have wrecked at least 3 tyres, although not on a Seven admittedly, and know how easy it can happen.

I have yet to sort out a solution, but I think that it may involve changing the wheel sizes on the car, a real hassle and expensive to boot, either that or have a spare tyre from each end wrapped and waiting to be dispatched from a trusted source to wherever one may be touring and need help, then be prepared to wait a few days in a local hostelry, all very unsatisfactory and expensive, to say the least.

It's not until you start looking in detail that you realise what a big problem it could be, or OTOH, don't worry, and take a chance and a get you home in an emergency card, and everything will probably be fine. *eek*

Paul J.

After some experience from my Dad getting a puncture in France last year, and listening to reports of how the back street garage carried out the repair both my Dad & I now carry puncture repair kits with us + a very compact compressor I got from Costco.

Clearly need to be careful with these 'amateur' repairs but for most punctures I recon this would get you out of trouble .....

Dad's has been fine 6 months in and tested to 140 mph+. 😬

Seems a better option than cans of foam to me ??

Hello,

I only take as a repair kit a cartouche with sealant and gas in it. So far I was lucky I had no puncture during the last 6 years and 80.000 km travelling also in Italy and France.

From a philosophical point of view I rather travel with the challange of having a or no puncture or beeing able to manage it with the repair kit than carrying a spare wheel etc. whith me.

I think the risk of having a puncture is part of it and I see it different from a normal car I use every day.

rgds

Hanns Per

my CSR homepage

blatting the alps

my lotussevenclub gallery

Beyond simply suggesting "a great little tyre size calculator", I am indicating a number of ways that one can mitigate against the already low risk of an un-sealable puncture becoming an major inconvenience.

Obtaining front tyres to the same size should be easy. For the rear tyres, 225/50x15 is very close to same rolling diameter and would not be excessively "stretched". It should also be available although some smaller depots may have to order them, probably arriving same or next day.

The fitting of a different tyre would then allow the touring holiday to be completed or continued whilst a CR500 is been dispatched to a point further along the trail.

Simon's portable puncture kit sounds like another very compact, light item which could provide another avenue to keeping motoring.

It's when one starts looking in detail at all the various alternative solutions and different ways they could be deployed that the requirement to carry a large piece of excess baggage around Europe becomes very much diminished.

Peter

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬

Thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate the advice.

I think I will give up on the idea of a spare wheel and rely on a variety of puncture repair options and roadside assistance.

I have ordered a new front and rear tyre from CC which I will store at home so I know I can get a tyre sent quickly should the worst happen.

The tyre size calculator is great and shows there maybe some other options available locally.

What wheel/tyre size came with, and fits onto your rack Martin?

Peter, I appreciate what you are saying, and didn't mean to demean the info. you offered in any way, and there are indeed ways to mitigate the problem of punctures, but nothing is as good as having a servicable spare, and some of us need the peace of mind more than others, especially when touring far from home, this is a problem with the CSR in particular, and I'm not sure there is an answer. We'll see if anyone can come up with something in Martins other thread on C.Chat.

Maybe carrying two wheels would do it, like those old trials Dellows? No, maybe that really is going over the top.

Paul J.

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 10 Jan 2011 18:20:57

This repair Kit was recommended to me by tyre man and GT40 rep owner.

Also when on euro blat last year I made sure I had the addresses and phone numbers of all the European Dealers and folk like joachim westermann at MOG, and local BC members close to route. You will always be fairly close to someone who can help , where ever you are in Germany, France, Italy, Austria.

Tim

CSR 200 Aztec and Black

That's ok Paul. No worries 😶‍🌫️ I too apologise if my counter-post was a little pointed.

I take the view that there's usually a way out of a jamb. A little prep, imagination and lateral thinking always beats the "Oh shoot, the conventional solution is not available therefore we are all boogered and don't know what to do now" approach.

*smile*

BRAWNGP green SUPERLIGHT *smokin*

FCITW 2009 😬

Yep, and in the meantime you are sitting by the side of the road for hours or even days waiting for that tyre to arrive, it's an option but for something so simple as being able to carry a spare, is it worth it? Maybe if a spare is unable to be carried it is the next best thing, but more than a little inconvenient!

Paul J.

Yeh I know that's true, but I don't think you can feasibly carry two spares and still carry touring luggage, and is it that difficult to source CSR tyres, as I said I had a load of contact numbers with me for local Caterham dealers and local Members along the way, I was amazed i was rarely more than 150K from an agent. Now maybe they would not all have CSR tyres but it gives some confidence, If we worry about Flats, Clutch cables, overheating, accelerator cables et al we would never tour, I think that 2 or 3 cans of weld, and a repair kit certainly give me enough peace of mind to tour. If enough people are concerned why dont all of us who tour organise with someone like MOG to have a few common sized tyres stashed there, although I would be surprised if he doesn't have a good selection anyway, we could club together and buy them up front and then we would at least know there was a good chance of tyres a quick courier journey away from most of the touring areas, and maybe a set somewhere in mid France.

Tim

CSR 200 Aztec and Black

Ah ha, has realism set in Tim? Actually it's all academic really, if any of us wanted to tour and we do, 'cause the CSR is such a dam fine touring car, we would do it anyway and to hell with the consequences. It's just a case of worst case scenario, if we've thought about it first, it won't be so bad when/if it actually happens and if it doesn't, then the tour is even better 😬

Paul J.

Hi Paul J *wavey*

Martin is away at the moment.

Martin has had the spare wheel rack adapted so it's extendible and will carry either wheel but we do carry a front wheel.

We know this isn't ideal because of the different rolling diameter with a LSD.

Jo

(Solent Se7ens) *wink*

Edited by - 'Jo' bee on 11 Jan 2011 22:53:07

So if you carry a spare front wheel fitted with a 195x50 15 then you could fit this front or rear (using spacers at rear) and providing that it clears the front mudguard.

Perhaps this is an option worth persuing.

Edited by - jimh on 12 Jan 2011 10:37:17