Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Luggage Rack Advice

paul.maley

Hi, I have a S3 chassis superlight without a spare-wheel carrier. However, I still have a passenger that I need to move about that comes with a significant amount of excess baggage - I mean that literally rather than figuratively *wink*

Does have any good ideas about how to fit a luggage rack or alternative solutions (short of a trailer) for moving bulkier luggage items? (clearly it's the best way to get full use of the motor on long weekends away). I'd prefer not to fit a spare wheel carrier if I can help it

All feedback/advice welcomely received.

Paul.

It's surprising how much you can pack in the boot and strap to the roll bar.

Use drybag's of various sizes both to pack within the boot and large one's to pack on the roll bar ..

have a look at Lomo Watersports

not a very good photo but have a look at Wales 2010

-----Q469 WET, 1990 Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits. Class 2 150 BHP Zetec. With a Dual Drive :-)CaterBram on Facebook

• Area Representative

Just about to post a comment about the FIA bar tyre rack but James beat me to it. With one of these in place you could use a thick netting with a cord to fix it to the rack and then throw a bag or two on top similar to the old train carriages.

Otherwise you can get a removable spare wheel carrier fitted to your car and I'm sure that I have seen these retro-fitted to some sevens. Naturally it would only need fitting for the extra baggage and could be removed when unrequired.

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

I have a spare wheel carrier, but usually leave it off unless i'm touring. When its off the number plate which is in a number plate frame/carrier bolts (complete with its light) to the existing holes in the chassis that secures the spare wheel carrier. The hole/threaded captive nut that takes the spare wheel centre bolt, when not in use, is covered with a 7 nose cone badge, aesthetically quite pleaing solution. Presumably you have a "modern" chassis that is drilled at the bottom back memeber to take a carrier, if not you need to drill and also cut the u-shaped notches in the ally back panel. The whole job is effectivly fitting a spare wheel carrier but once fitted removal is quick and easy and as i say aesthetically pleasing when the number plate is fitted and the 7 nose cone badge is place over the centre hole. Let me know if you want photos

And for a slightly cheaper and simpler solution... Two rucksacks.

Ziptie carry handle at top of rucksack to roll bar legs where they attach to the rear panel. Secure with bungees placed over the rucksack hooked under the bottom rail and over the top rail of the rear panel. Ta da! Use the right size bag, and it won't obscure the plates.

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

I know one of your criteria was carrying sufficient luggage without a spare tyre rack, but.....I fabricated a rack out of aluminum tubing that uses as its support the spare tyre rack (with spare tyre in place), and carries three nylon ski-boot bags. Combined with the SBFS Re-bag, this set-up gives plenty of space for two people for extended tours (I used it on a 6100-mile jaunt this past August).

My main criterion was that my luggage not obscure my rear vision.

My rack is supported at bottom by the spare tyre carrier, and at top by straps running to the FIA bar supports. The two side-pod racks can be removed, leaving just the central rack for one bag; or all three racks can be removed, leaving only the basic rack frame affixed between the spare tyre and the rear panel.

I'd post photos, but don't have a website to link my photos to. If anyone wants photos, please send me a PM.

Alaskossie

Hi Paul, Please find link below to an interesting website!! *smile*

here

I, like you, wanted additional storage facility for our trip to Le mans last year.

We are currently perfecting the design in order to make the rack system totally universal ie.able fit all Caterham S3's and their roll bar derivatives. We can also create an option for the SV too!

We will be creating a "track rack" too [based on the same fitting system] that will facilitate transporting 4 wheels/ tyres.

If interested to know more, please contact me and I will keep you informed of progress.

Cheers, Adrian

It's all down hill from here!

www.7heavenautoleisure.com

Edited by - flatout on 1 Jan 2011 20:56:10