Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The dreaded K-series graunch!

myothercarsa2cv

It's not a click! I think it's the battery...

When I de-immobilise it, it sounds like the relay won't make the beeper beep - you know like when you half press the hazard switch? It makes that sound.

Turning the key does nothing - pump primes, shift lights flash, nothing happens and the immobiliser comes on. Is this a caput battery? It's been on charge, to no avail.

What say the POBC? Replace the battery?

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

No volt meter, and yes, Dartford is about as harsh as it gets *tongue* To be fair, it sits outside in the cold, and doesn't get run as much as I'd like to, so with the immobiliser sipping away for a couple of weeks, it's probably had a lot of drain-charge cycles. Don't know if that's bad for it...

Can I possibly fit a switch to turn off the immobiliser I wonder? So I can leave it on when parked in public, and off when it's safe at home?

John

myothercarsa2cv

I thought about the master switch and then had a cost from CC to fit (I know my limits)

I then decided that it would be just as easy to disconnect the battery when not in use - which is what I started to do,

But then as I discovered the (recently replaced) 3 month old Banner battery (supplied by CC South to replace the original one) managed to go flat in 3 weeks with nothing connected to it.....

I've now got one of the Rally Design batteries that Crudders got on a bulk buy deal. Last week I went out to see if it needed topping up via the Optimate. It's been sitting idle for a month - the Optimate gave it 10 mins charge and it went straight to "float".

John, if you want to bottow my Digital Volt Meter, you know where I am!

I believe that anything below 12.2v is bad, and with engine running, anything over 13.6v proves that the alternator is working correctly and charging (so you can rule the alternator out)

Oh and if it's THAT flat, you won't even be able to "Jump" it from another car - when the Banner went flat (before it was replaced with the Rally Design one) it registered 1.4v at the terminals - the BIG (680+A/Hr) battery in my X-Type was no use 😔

Cheers

Mike

07 Plated RoadSport SV 150 in Red with Black nose band and stripe

Edited by - michaeljclark on 24 Nov 2010 22:00:09

Edited by - michaeljclark on 24 Nov 2010 22:01:46

Thanks all *thumbup* Think I'll go for a new battery; it's been trouble before especially in the cold. Michael, if the RMD one works for you, then perhaps I shall pay them a visit. Supposed to go to the doctors tomorrow, but... *wink*

Perhaps a cutoff switch is in order... I know Vik will be happy to use my car as a guinea pig *tongue* *tongue* *tongue*

John

myothercarsa2cv

But then as I discovered the (recently replaced) 3 month old Banner battery (supplied by CC South to replace the original one) managed to go flat in 3 weeks with nothing connected to it.....
There's something wrong with that battery. Mine started first time having been disconnected all of last winter. However, I might bring it indoors this year, as it's in a different completely unheated garage.

Jez

Well I spoke to Rally Design (nice chaps, same hold music as CC *tongue*).

If I can get six orders of their RMD 25 batteries (here) then they'll consider opening up the bulk buy offer again (I think it'll be about £35 a unit). Anyone interested?

John

myothercarsa2cv

There's something wrong with that battery. Mine started first time having been disconnected all of last winter. However, I might bring it indoors this year, as it's in a different completely unheated garage.

I agree, it worked fine for me for about 5 years immobilising then removing FIA key.

If you don't like Caterham's price for fitting, then do it yourself (this is the tech-talk forum of a car that is offered in self-assembly format after all)!!!

back here because I want to be.