Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Losing weight from a superlight

mattobrien

It is a an engaging exercise in reducing weight from the Caterham, and gives you something to tinker with in the garage over winter when going out on track/getting tuition is not an option. (I agree that those things are more likely to improve your times!)

I'll also add that while some lightness upgrades can be hugely expensive for minimal gains (e.g. swapping bits to carbon fibre) others can be cheap as chips.

My favourite weight/cost upgrade was removing my tunnel top (1.4kg) and making up some gaiters for the gear stick and handbrake from some ali strips and an old leather jacket from a charity shop - cost about £2.

John

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having previously owned a R500 i must admitt bit suprised at such an early stage you are looking to make lighter.What part of the blistering performance do you think could be improved on,or what is it you are not satisfied with ,the car is a complete and utter rocket ship.

You'll not gain much by loosing anything from the baseline car weight.

Reducing rotational inertia in the driveline parts however, has 15 times the benefit of loosing weight from the car. So get yourself a carbon propshaft. *wink*

Chassis rotational inertia, wheels, tyres, brake rotors, has 3 times the benefit.

So, Dymags (Although I hear they've gone bust?) CR500's, and some of RiF's HiSpec alloy brake rotors. *wink*

Don't think you'll notice the difference though. *tongue*

Badger Bill

loosing weight from the car makes it quicker everywhere so the example used for reduction in quater mile times is not realy the whole story - and probably one drawn up by a Yank to justify their 3000kg "muscle cars" ?.

My examples were just in response to where weight could be lost rather than a jobs completed list *biggrin*.

Even if any of us are not the driving gods we would all like to be, loosing weight and increasing responsiveness and agility of the vehicle will enable even the average driver to gain more satisfaction from the car with its willingness to change direction and improved feel.

Thats why as an extreme example the busa engined cars handle and go around a track or twisty road quicker than a much more powerfull Vauxhall engined car, that by comparsion feels lethargic and unresponsive. The only essential difference is weight loss - yes mostly from the engine and gearbox but just weight loss in the end. No level or length of driver training will provide that difference in vehicle behaviour and dynamics from weight loss as it affects the tool not the user.

or you could just have a decent poo and eat less pies ( but please dont *biggrin* *wink*)

dave

Having taken the scales out to the garage I think that the first weight saving measure will be swapping the banner battery for a Red Top 15.

The current banner weighs in at 7.9kg and a Red Top 15 is claiming 5.4kg - 2.5kg for £100. Not sure how easy it will be to buy weight at £40 / kg moving forwards.

Will be looking at rotating mass and weight saving there.

Have also checked the other low / no cost things that can be done and can report that the passenger seat is already bolted to the floor - no weight to be saved by losing the runner there.

I think your find CR500's are lighter than ACB10 *wink* It is Avon policy to manufacture light tyres aimed at lightweight cars but also the CR500 has less rubber than the ACB10. Radials are heavier generally though *thumbup* but not in this case *wink*

Matt, could you lose some of the plumbing thus reduce the coolant content *confused*

Rear caliper is an easy area for some weight saving and would not cost a lot *confused*

If your considering changing dampers, Protech in my opinion may not be an upgrade. You should ask yourself why are they cheap *rolleyes* *confused*

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

• 1 month later...

New battery fitted at the weekend - went with a Powervamp PVR25 in the end, not quite as light as the 15 or 20, but a little more powerful.

the best quote while fitting it was "you know you have a competition car when it has been worked on with a grinder" 😬 Well we had to get a couple of large rivets out of the passenger foot plate somehow.

Am now awaiting my new lighter number plates and she will be ready for her first track day. Must remember to get some tuition too *smile*

The next possible weight saving will be a new exhaust, but that will solely be down to whether or not I can get it through the noise police with the current one, the weight saving would be purely incidental.

Matt