Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratech Mapping & Heat Problems

akb

I am considering a new car R300/500 with the Duratech engine.

I am interested in your about ECU mapping problems I have read about. This seems to lead to flat spots and misfiring:

- Have most owners had problems with this?

- Has this now been solved with a new map / modifications?

The heat build up in engine bay / transmission tunnel in the higher output engines is a widely reported problem. Folks seem to have addressed it with various ventilation solutions.

- How realistic is this?

- What is the favoured solution

- Do folks expect this may lead to reliability issues / premature failure of engine gearbox components.

- Is the trans tunnel problem made worse by the sequential box?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Andrew

Does the R400 actually exist? other than in the mind of the marketing folks?

The R400 may technically exists but has never been seen.. CC have has two demonstrators but sold them both.

The seems to funnel folks toward / or maybe folks split themselves into the R300 or R500 camp. R300 has such good price/performance the R400 seems like worse value for money.

R500 is just bonkers.

the heat build up in my R500 with the Quaife box is almost unbearable at times.

During the few weeks I did have my car on the road, and when we had some sunny days it was unusable for anything more than a few miles due to the heat build up.

Also I spent a lot if time insulating my tunnel, but this did not seem to help, the gearbox is just too close to the tunnel on an S3 car.

Pictures of my insutaltion can be seen here:

tunnel pics

Nigel

Nigel Pugh - Area Representative - WAGS - Worcestershire Area Group Sevens

R500 CP - New 2008 Duratec R500

Nigel,

where did you purchase the insulation material from.

I have just taken delivery of my R400 SV kit and don't want the heat issue to spoil the car.

Do you feel that the type of insulation you have used is adequate, or in hindsight would you use something different next time.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

Mine is an SV and I have no heat build up issues, even on the hot summer day on the track. The tunnel gets warm but not hot. I have no insulation in the tunnel at all. I do have the CC leather tunnel cover though and my thigh rests on it, so I never actually touch the bare metal.

The worst heat build up you'll experience is sitting in a traffic jam on a hot day. ☹️

Andrew,

As you say your car is an SV I don't think you will have the same problem that I have.

However I got mine from here:

Nimbus Heat Shield

You could also look at using what Caterham supply for the CSR, I assume it will fit an SV too.

Here:

CSR Heat Shield

Good luck with your build, there should be enough pictures of my build to help you out to some extent, but feel free to email if you have specific questions.

Nigel

Nigel Pugh - Area Representative - WAGS - Worcestershire Area Group Sevens

R500 CP - New 2008 Duratec R500

Mark,

Don't worry bout the high-jack my friend!!

I got a call from Caterham Midlands to say that my car is finished and will be delivered back to me on Wednesday, hopefully in the morning.

So lets wait and see what the gearbox and diff are like, and hopefully that the gearbox oil leak has gone away too!!

Nigel

Thats deadfull. Do you think the heat buildup has made problems worse? It would seem possible as Quaife obviously have experience larger installations with fewer problems.

I read your many posts regarding what you have done to reduce the cabin temp - do you think engine bay / tunnel ventilation is the answer?

How has the engine mapping been? I heard of some folks with flat spots?

Thanks

Andrew

Thanks all for the feedback. based on the SV being less of a problem, is it worth putiing any insulation in?

Also, I was thinking of installing carpets in the footwells and tunnel, presumably that would stop any issues with touching warm metal. Does the SV only have carpets on the floors and seat back?

I may be a bit soft I guess!!

Regards

Andrew

The R400 may technically exists but has never been seen
Well, I don't think the R400 Duratec sitting in my garage is a mirage... *cool*

Re cabin temps, I removed the front rad cowl to improve the flow of cool air into the engine bay (mine has the S3 chassis). It helped, but the cabin still got very hot during a trip to/from SW France this summer, when ambient temps were in the 35-40C range. Before I repeat that trip, I'm likely to consider CSR-style footwell insulation and possibly primary wrapping. As for touching bare metal with my knees, I've found the Jill Judd touring tunnel bag prevents that.

JV