Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DVA K13A upgrade

skydragon

As part of my engine upgrade path, I'm thinking of initially going for a DVA K13A upgrade to my seven, which currently has a standard EU3 1.6 K-series with forged Omega pistons, a 52mm throttle body and a PowerSpeed 4-2-1 exhaust system with cat.

Has anyone out there any recent experience with the results of this upgrade (K13A = ported head, new cams, still using the EU3 ECU and I would also add verniers)?

- Does retaining the standard Rover MEMS ECU cause any issues? esp ref passing MOT emissions?

- Am I right in thinking this should give approx 155bhp on my car?

- is there any real-world difference between using a standard EU3 ECU, a SS ECU or indeed an Emerald ECU in this configuration?

- any comments?

Thanks

Chris.

• Area Representative

Chris,

I run a similar spec.

I ported the head myself (following instruction from DVA's K engine site, and a few emails) and fitted a pair of 633 cams.

I initially ran with the stock ECU, but later swapped to an SS ECU. With a 1600, you'll find that it makes peak power at more reves than the standard ECU will allow.

I don't think that you'd gain a great deal from using an Emerald over an SS ECU.

Mine goes quite nicely *wink*

Beg to differ We ran comparison tests on a std SS Ecu and an Emerald a number of years ago in Brixton The earlier home of Emerald.... where the car was strapped on rollers and all was changed was the ECU the difference between the two [remember the emerald unit was mapped exactly to the car as most of them are ]was Day and Night *nono*

jj

MTM , N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

Totally agree with Johnty. Now running 1.6K with forged pistons, large valve and ported DVA head, verniers, 4-2-1 exhaust for good torque, throttle bodies etc. If you don't use verniers and a programmable ECU you waste money (using van Kronenburg ecu unit as live in Belgium). 180bhp at 7500 and almost 140 torque, emmisions below 0.2 and starts first time.

PJ

Chris, I would discuss it with Dave, he will give you a definitive view, but I understood that the K13A upgrade was designed to be able to be used with a SS ECU, but I am not sure about a non-SS version. I think the change in cams will drive this requirement. I am not saying by the way that it will not benefit from an Emerald just that you don't have to have one.

However if you do need to change to a SS ECU you may as well get an Emerald as I can't imagine the difference in price will be that great. The upgrade that Peter describes will definitely require an Emerald as it has TB's, the MEMS cannot drive TB's.

Hope this helps.

Graham.

R7 GPK

Superlight #85

I'll give Dave a call at some point, to discuss.

An Emerald ECU is over £800 fitted to my EU3 car, whereas (I believe) a SS software upgrade by CC to my existing EU3 ECU is £150

If I can get around 155bhp, it starts, idles and runs smoothly and it passes the MOT, then I'm happy retaining the MEMS ECU, upgraded to SS, pending further upgrades inc an emerald.

Skydragon - I've run mine on the standard ECU for a couple of years and it seems to be fine. Defintiely more power especially at high revs but I have had some difficulty with the emissions test - though it has always managed to get through eventually!!!

Having said that I'm sure I'm not getting the best out of it as it is and at some point I was planning on replacing the standard ECU with an Emerald. However cost plus taking the time off work to go and get it fitted and mapped when there are many other things competing for my limited annual holiday allowance has meant I simply haven't got it done yet!

I have had the DVA K13A kit fitted to my engine. Before Dave had it, it was a 1400cc, when Dave had finished with it, it was a 1600cc thanks to new pistons, liners etc. All this talk about E.C.Us confuses me. What ECU would be on my 2002 car? It does not have a distributor cap, it has the 2 small coils on top. I cannot recall Dave saying anything about the need to change the ECU, but what benefits are to be gained. I have also just had a Powerspeed 4-2-1 fitted and would love to take advantage of all the hard work done so far.Would my ECU be upgradeable as per the earlier post to this thread? Would the upgrade allow me to run Jenveys if I could persuade the better half that this was a nessessary bit of kit?

Stuart,

Your ECU is just fine as it is and there isnt a great deal to be gained from an emerald. Your engine is an EU3 with a stock Mems. An upgrade to SS spec. for your ECU will not allow you to run TBs, you would require an emerald for that.

Oily

I had my 1400 (non SS) down to DVA last year. He put a 1800 bottom end in and a K13A on the top with verniers and a modified TB. Brilliant result on standard EU3 ECU, totally transformed and no problems with the recent MOT emissions.

Definitely recommended.

How did I end up here?