Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lucky Escape

Nigel Fox

Had a big off today at Oliver's Mount when I took out a length of substantial wooden fencing at high speed. I was unscathed but a piece of fence entered the cockpit through the bulkhead above the passenger footwell, and exited through the side panel above the exhaust. *eek* The car is totalled, so unfortunately I won't been in Wales next weekend.

Nigel, thank goodness you are OK *smile* At least the car can be rebuilt *thumbup*

It is always after things like this you start to think - what if

If there is anything we can do to help, just ask *thumbup*

Good luck, we will miss you in Wales *wavey*

C&L

If only everything in life was as simple as a 7!!

• Support Team

Glad you are OK Nigel and hope the car can be rebuilt swiftly. Hope to see you back competing later in the year.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

It's never good to hear about someone else's misfortune Nigel. I am pleased to hear that you are Ok, that's the most important thing. I hope the repair work to the car doesn't seem so daunting after a few days reflection.

Best wishes

Robin

SUPERLIGHT 176. PINK LIPS AND BITS *redface* *redface* *redface*

Nigel

Sorry to hear about the car but pleased to hear you walked away unscathed.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help/assist/advise with the rebuild and I hope to see you back competing later in the season. I'll drop you an email later with the contact details for the events entered so far in order that you can let the organisers know.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Thanks everyone for the messages and offers of support. I'll take a couple of days thinking about the best way forward. I intend to be back competing ASAP in either a repaired or possibly a different car.

Thanks again.

Nigel

Sorry its a bit late, only just logged on and saw your news, so all I can do is reiterate everyone elses thoughts that thank goodness you are OK and I look forward to your speedy return to the championship

Grahame

Thanks for all the support. I've had the chance to think things over and look at the car a bit more, although it's still inside the trailer where it was manhandled by a dozen marshalls.

Damage to the car appears to be limited to forward of the bulkhead apart from the passenger side exit wound.

Requires 4 wishbones, dampers, rack, alternator and brackets, radiator, air filters, pedal box, bonnet, all bodywork, front wheels, wing stays, lights, chassis long front and side panels.

Not sure about the uprights, brakes, hubs etc.

Engine looks OK, timing belt is still on but will be replaced.

Plan is;

strip car in RSM workshop (Morecambe) on Monday. 11th

transport chassis to Arch on Friday, 15th, 2 week turn around

Work through the pile of scrap to identify what can be repaired or reused.

Order new parts.

Rebuild in time for Pembrey.

See you there. *thumbup* Thanks again.

I've just read this post and did a double take (i had to check the date of the post).

Last year a Westfield driver had a similar accident where he crashed into wooden rail fencing at olivers mount and a piece of fencepost entered the engine bay, smashed the battery, puntured the dash and ended up puncturing the rear bulkhead between the seats. If it had been 12" more to the left the driver would have been impaled. I met the driver at a Sprint later in the year and he showed me some photos of the end result *rolleyes* *confused* *confused*.

You have to ask your self, with trees and wooden fencing just feet away from the track edge - is Olivers mount a safe enough venue to race open cockpit cars around?

Thanks for all the messages and offers of help.

Skydragon I would agree that open cars and wooden cattle fencing are not a good mix, it's unlikely I will return to Oliver's Mount!

Car will be stripped tomorrow and delivered to Arch on Friday. Intention is to have all chassis repairs including replacement scuttle and bonnet done at Arch.

I already had some unfitted RiF front wings, so will be completing the set with nose and rear wings from Richard.

Also already have a new rack, will be ordering new wishbones from Caterham and anti roll bar from Freestyle.

Luckily my brand new set of MB wheels and supersoft tyres was not on the car. The front wheels both look rather sad, the whole lot are going back to MB for a refurb.

Not sure what pedal box I need, mine is older than most people's, but I need to confirm with Arch what I need, as that section of chassis needs repair or replacement.

Will be in touch with Simon Rogers for rear wing fixings.

Thanks again for offers, will be in touch if I need to take you up on them.

Hope the Welsh weekend went well, was thinking about you all.

Cheers,

Nigel.