Click here if you are having website access problems ×

12v power socket

Martin J

I would like to fit 12v cigar lighter type power socket to power up the Tom Tom etc. Standard width car so not a lot of room & I don't want to drill holes through the dash.

Thought about fitting it wth a fly lead & inline fuse & zipp tieing it up under the dash so it can be easily removed if need be in the future.

Any ideas & where to obtain what I need? Halfords were no use.

Thanks, Martin *thumbup*

Martin - I got mine from Songhurst Caravans (on your doorstep) - socket in a box for about £6.00. Fitted to px side of tunnel with self-tappers. Ran cable through grommet at front of tunnel and connected directly across the battery with an in-line fuse. I can also use it to charge the battery as it is not switched by the ignition.

Alternatively, join us at the kit car show in Detling tomorrow, and have a nose around the component stands !

Just walked in after finishing exactly this addition to an S3. I measured, on the inside of the bulkead, 12mm to the left of the bottom left screw holding the fuse box a standard 12v socket (got mine from Maplins) pops out in a nice clear spot on the otherside too.

Doesn't obstruct the passenger and gives the battery plenty of clearance too.

Passenger Footwell, 3 way socket from Lidl with sticky fixer type fixings so no drilling. Cable follows main loom through Transmission tunnel and wired across battery with in line fuse.

Cable tied to main loom, tom tom lead cable tied across to drivers side, pops out from under the dash just under headlight switch.

All removable should the need arise

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

Ah! The power of blatchat, thanks one & all *thumbup* Some very useful advice *thumbup*

It will be handy to have the sat nav for longer trips (going to classic team lotus, Hethel, Norfolk in August) are you going Ian?

May be able to get up to Detling later in the day tomorrow (with family for lunch) it is free after all if you arrive in a "kit" based car.

Martin *thumbup*

Wired mine into the back of the ignition switch with a spade connector so the satnav goes off with the ignition. Stuck the cigar socket next to the passengers right knee with number plate stickers in the hope that it is firm enough to accept plugging in and out all the time, but will break free in the event of an accident. Adapted a piece (about 4") of clear number plate perspex to make a mounting for the satnav which clips onto the poppers in the centre of the dash top.

4 gang socket, with a groove filed in the casing all round, tye-wrapped to two holes drilled into the heater casing - nice n firm for plugging two plugs in each side - MP3 player, sat nav, heated waistcoat x 2 - Autocom used to go into it, but that now has a dedicated socket via a switch so I can turn it off when headsets are hung on the roll bar in towns/a break from sweaty ears etc.

Bri

I too got the Maplins version.

I then obtained a sheet of alluminium from a well known DIY store, cut it down to size, cut a hole for the socket, fashioned a curve into it and mounted it up out of sight next to the knee trim panel in the passenger footwell.

Its powered straight from the battery via an inline fuse.

It's neat, unobstrusive, solidly mounted and won't take a chunk out of anybodys leg in the event of an accident.

Mine is wired with an in-line fuse off the battery positive, the lead runs with the main loom through the grommet into the cockpit, behind the carpet into the passenger foot-well & finally a to Maplins in-line socket cable-tied to the frame of the passenger seat facing forwards. The whole installation can be done without any fabrication or drilling, which is nice, and easily reached from the driving seat but not obtrusive for the passenger (but don't try to plug anything in while the seat is occupied *tongue* ).

Got a double socket that was originally for Saxo Dazza to give him an extra socket for his Neons, chopped off the plug and hardwired to the battery with inline fuse. Sticky pad to fix it to the bulkhead, ran the wire along the loom down the trans tunnel. Total time:10mins. Drilling: None 😬 Can now charge my phone and the TomTom *thumbup*

Simple!

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

I got a plug, socket and in-line fuse from www.carbuildersolutions.co.uk and fitted the socket to the windsreen wiper motor bracket to the left under the dash on the passenger side.

I also put a similar socket next to battery for connecting the battery conditioner.

Steve D

Lotus 7 S2 1500 Cosworth

All sorted! *smile*

In the end decided to make it a permanent fixture which I think looks really neat. Obtained socket complete with rubber cap from maplins. Drilled a neat 30mm hole with a my hole saw kit just below the fuse box in the passenger bulkhead. This exits (at least on my car) low down just beside the battery. The bulkhead on mine is painted black & the unit is black so looks neat. Then just a few inches of wire straight onto the battery with an inline fuse holder fitted. *thumbup*

Enjoy fiddling with the car, havn't done much since building it, what next? Perhaps i'll change the oil & filter this afternoon! *wink*

Martin *thumbup*