Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Please help me make my 7 quieter

Pezky

Only just passed noise testing today at Abingdon.

100dB static at 0.5m. First test was 101dB. They kindly tested it again at 99.9db 😬-but told to take it easy on the pit straight in case the environmental health bods are about *nono*

Limits are getting lower nowadays so want to get it a low as possible in future.

Car has a 1700xflow and standard 4-2-1 rear exit exhaust.

I assume as the car is 17 yrs old the silencer is not silencing much anymore.

Should I just look at replacing the silencer or replace the whole system 🤔

Jonathan

Certainly make sure you are using a repackable can. When it is repacked... weigh it.

Then when ever you feel it might need repacking, you can weigh it to establish how much packing has actually got blown out.

After a rather noisey return from Bordeaux, a few years back, I went to repacked the silencer and found it was completely empty!

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

I have a little experience in this.

I had a re-packable silencer on an F3 car.

After a long life on the car it didn't seem to be doing a lot of silencing.

When I opened it up I found the fibreglass material inside had been converted by the heat to a glass tube and was completely fused solid. *eek*

Once I re-packed it with new material, hey presto! it worked perfectly again. 😬

The moral of the story is to check the condition regurlarly, I do so once a year and replace as required.

Greg.

Send your silencer off to that nice Ammo chappy as a template and he will send you a new larger one back again that will be very quiet *thumbup* Lots of happy Raceco customers on here.

With a crossflow induction noise is also a factor and you won't really make that less unless you fit injection and an airbox. An airbox is not recommended for carbs due to the fire risk from stand off and backfires. I have fitted airbox/injection on mine and am hoping my crossflow will be about 95-98 db when tested at the next sprint

Edited by - Graham Perry on 28 Mar 2009 11:27:21

In fact, it was so noisy, it was scaring the army guys at the barracks across the field. 😬 j/k The can does look very slim, however, so that may be a factor.

A great day out and the organizers were superb. They got the right people in and wrong ones out very promptly. *cool* 😬

Val (Yellow/Black R400)

My old standard 4-2-1 rear exit on my x-flow was between 101-103dB depending who tested it... 😳

I swallowed hard and got a repackable Powerspeed side exit - MUCH quieter exhaust (94dB from memory), it spits flames better 😬 and the balance of sound is now massively torwards the (much more tuneful) twin 40's *cool*. If I'd known I would have changed over much sooner... *thumbup*

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

Q102

Tap the silencer with say a hammer if it rings all the wadding is a gone if its a dull note most is still in place

Even my car at 2/3 rpm that’s about 5600rpm can easily manage 105 dB(A) with a freshly packed Techcraft re-packable silencer *cool*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

• 4 months later...

I'm also looking for a new silencer for my Xflow, which is now 20 years old. And the noise is just about unbearable at this point.

I think my maximum budget for this is about £250... so Raceco looks like it's probably out of my league.

Any other more budget suggestions?

--------------------------------------------------------

Caterham7Junkie.com

My '89 xflow was between 104 and 106 with a standard CC can with 1in4 preliminaries.

Replaced it with a 6" repackable Powerspeed with a addional crushed cone of perforated pipe in the end of the perforated pipe - £340 back in 2005. I also have copper exhaust gaskets - it's now at 98.

I think induction noise is now the problem.

Hi,

I have a VX1600 8v with a standard 5 inch exhaust. I followed the lead of others on blatchat and converted the can to make it repackable. Searching the archive will give you loads of info if you are interested. I measured the noise last week at 105db (45 degrees, 50cms) and repacked it over the weekend with e glass, immediate reduction to 94db.

The modification of the silencer cost about £50 in total, including s/s rivets and e glass. Probably took me 2 days effort and a lot of patience!

Regards,

Paul

• 5 weeks later...