Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Fluid change

Stuart McGill

I'd like to change the brake fluid on my 7.

Being a bit of a mechanical muppet (but learning quickly) can anyone please give me a quick run through on how to do this. I've searched through but can't any previous posts, presumably because its fairly straightforward (famous last words).

Cheers

Stuart

p.s. I've not got a good track record for bleeding coolant systems!

Nope.

As mentioned buy an easibleed, or rope in g/f, b/f, mum, dad, the teenage girl from next door with the lonng legs . . .

Check all bleed nipples are free to turn - nip them back up again. Remove all bleed nipple covers. Remember to replace them (which is what I need to do after replacing a brake pipe on Debs Rover this evening after it failed it's MOT this afternoon .. )

Follow easibleed instuctions to connect it - if unsure, wrap the lot in a towel etc to contain any pressurised leaks. I like to have at least a litre of new fluid, normally two, just in-case. Once opened, brake fluid starts to absorb water from the atmosphere, so don't open a new bottle if you don't need to - that's why they are foil sealed. And don't use the remnants in that old bottle kicking around in the garage - and don't use the stuff you bleed out.

Crack open bleed nipple furthest from master cylinder - on a Caterham it's probably 6 and half-a-dozen as to whether n/s or o/s is furthest. Only needs a turn at most - catch fluid in suitable container, possibly with use of a bit of tube on nipple. Let fluid run until it comes out clean - it will be obvious if your's has been in a while. Occasionaly nip nipple up and check for fluid in easibleed.

Move to next nearest and work round the car, ending up with drivers side front.

Same principle applies to any car - but watch for dual circuits with separate bleeds, or two bleeds on one caliper, or bleed nipples on brake balance valves etc. With tintops, you normally have to make sure the rear suspension is at least at normal height to stop the balance valve closing off the rear brakes to some extent.

Can be done with the "up" . . . "down" . .. technique - you under the wheelarch with the spanner, aforementioned lonng legs on the pedals - you shout "down", lonng legs depress pedal - open the nipple . . .close it after fluid comes out - shout "up" - lonng legs come off pedal "down" . .. lonng legs depress pedal, you open nipple .. etc

Whatever car, I do normally find to get a decent pedal I end up with a round of the above after easibleeding - normally leave the easibleed connected to maintain fluid levels as I do it.

Theoretically, the manual up.down method can lead to wreck master cylinder seals as you stoke them past their normal travel, over possibly corroded sections of the master cylinder - only time I have ever come across it was when the guy who serviced my integrale claimed to have done so, so had to fit a new (exopensive) master cylinder . . . read into that what you like . . .

Bri

Its dead easy with an easy bleed & spare wheel, as said above. If you want to come round to mine & collect Stu's box of black rivets over the weekend, we could do it then as Ive got an Easy bleed & the spanner for the bleed nipple.

Edited by - TomB on 17 Oct 2008 21:54:54

As mentioned above - do watch for leaks from the cap of the Ezi-Bleed under pressure, as the M/C is kept topped up by the brake fluid you put in the pressurised bottle of the Ezi-Bleed. I was so busy watching things at the calipers that I didn't see the monstrous leak from the cap of the master cylinder 😳 ... nasty stuff, brake fluid !

A handy tip to help save that pool of fluid on the floor when the snake like piece of tube attached to your nipple flirts out of your catch bottle as you are busy with spanner..........find a nut or two that will screw onto the end of the plastic pipe to act as a weight to hold it at the bottom of the catch bottle. *thumbup*

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS

• 5 years later...

I can usually see the difference between old and new with std fluid.

If you test the set up first you should be able to fill the bottle with fluid to save having to disconnect everything every 30 seconds or so to top up the mc reservoir.

Here's a question for you all .... I bought some of the ATE super blue racing brake fluid so I could flush the brakes and know I had got rid of the old fluid. Good plan thinks I until I read the front of the can and it says "not for use in motor vehicles used on public highways, streets or roads. Due to non conforming colour"

Now that's the first I have ever heard of the colour of your brake fluid causing a problem. Also what's the probability of it being a real issue ?

Anyone ever fallen foul of wrong colour brake fluid during an MOT?