Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tightening my nuts

db

Sorry if this is numpty - I checked the archives.

I watched the chap at the garage change my tyres the other day (whilst I lounged nearby in my white suit with my Amex). He did the wheelnuts back up with an airgun.

I thought this was a no-no? Should I loosen them up (if it's still possible).

My ... Preciousss!

Edited by - db on 15 Oct 2008 23:02:41

They may have used a torque limiting socket in which case its ok, assuming correct rating. May be worth a phone call to check. Most tyre companies are aware of risks. If not get them to loosen them and retorque. Tony.

From memory, it's 55 lb/ft. Or is it Nm? Hm. I'm confused now. Just crack them loose and redo with your (own, begged, stolen, borrowed) torque wrench back home.

Oh and let some air out if its 32psi. Unless you like sliding about like a slippery thing!

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Hitting it fixed it )

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Tarnishing nicely ☹️)

lb/ft = spring rate.

Best one I heard about with tyre places, air wrenchs and doing nuts up - they did the nuts up with the air wrench, then used a torque wrench set to correct torque to check them . . . funnily enough, it "clicked" on all of them . .

My mate got a new set of wheels out them when he couldn't get them back off . . . on a Skoda (proper Skoda, engine in the right Skoda place sort of Skoda 😬)

Bri

The only thing I trust tyre garages to do for me is; fit the tyres and balance them.

Apart from the aforementioned wheelnut tightening/torqueing fiascos that are commonplace, there is also the horrendous abuse from trolley jacks to endure.

Take a tip from me; remove your own wheels from your car and take them into the garage yourself, then refit at your leisure!

• 2 weeks later...