Click here if you are having website access problems ×

damaged caterham

chambomg

Very hard to say what you need from that photo but my money's on a long front plus bits like the odd wishbone, a rad, maybe a rack, steering arm possibly, lower column may be twisted . . . that sort of stuff. As every one of these shunts is unique, you just have to look at what's bent and broken and replace it.

from your second photo it definately looks like it needs a long front!

Also it looks like the dash rail is bent.

I'd strip it and get it over to Arch ASAP.

They can sort out the chassis and also supply bits like the scuttle panel

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

-----If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

-----

Holy $hit... 😳

Under what terms did you buy that? *mad*

If you wanna know anything at all, then ask away.. but BlatMail me for my contact details, happy to talk if you want a full walk-through on what happened ;-)

p.s. where are you based, I'd shed a tear for a drive in the re-built model.

p.p.s can I have the toolkit back from the boot please?

p.p.p.s You'll also need steering wheel (i injured my hand and took a trip to casualty in modifying that existing Momo..) SVA pad, 2x front alloys (i see front left by your bin!), all new tyres, suspension, steering, check for creases in the floor pan (which is an indication that the chasis might need to get checked on a jig - i.e. it does), it didn't roll over so the FIA bar is probably ok - but DO replace the harnesses, drivers side took the full force of my 12 stone against it from some speed so I'd not like to see them have to repeat that kind of load.

Crazy. Where was it for sale? Don't be put off by the above.. If it's legal and affordable to repair, then best of luck to you. DO blatmail me for my contact details, i'd love to see how this goes.

Rich

So what's the story behind the car Rich? Was it Cat C or even B? Clearly if the latter, this chap will have difficulty in putting it back on the road.

It'll need a long front for sure and add in paint and you have to be north of £2.5k. Add the other bits in and you'll not get change out of £4k.

I'd advise not trying to repair it "As is". Get it jigged and repaired properly otherwise it'll never drive properly.

Bear in mind a 1999 1.6 K 5 speed, non-supersport is worth about £10-£11k in non-written-off condition...this car must be on the register?

Mark, Seems to me to be all under control.

It IS a Supersport. Market value was £13,000 not very many months ago. Very low mileage, well looked after mechanically, lightened flywheel, FIA bar, leather (somewhere under the blood from my hand, that is *wavey*) It's a Cat D so insurers consider unecomonical to repair but could, given enough time in the workshop, be repaired and returned to the road.

I understand a quote for less than your estimate has already come from Arch. The car is definately being sent to get jig'd, and a long front. The labour will be carried out by Paul who is experienced with repairs to other cars, has time on his hands to do this 'as and when' and will source second hand parts where possible.

Paul told me the car fires up just fine (even though some cheeky bugger from the salvage place has nicked the Caterham air filter!!) , and it was always a fantastic example and ran very well.

So Paul - seems a few of us are interested in progress! Create yourself a post in 'Chit Chat' and get the hell on with building it 😬

Mark, I know some of what happened and the values involved but don't feel it's my place to post the details. I only brought it to Rich's attention as I was concerned it had be bought after being written off. I thought the usual process was that a breaker would sell everything except the chassis 🤔

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

hi guys

the caterham will definitely be going to bruce at arch for the long front,

the car seems to be a very nice example prior to rich, s little offroading.

i will keep you all upto date with its progress

paul

p.s anyone got any parts to mend her please

all the best paul

chambomg@aol.com

Edited by - chambomg on 22 Jul 2008 14:07:39