Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Flat flooring - where and how much?

Big Brother

I'm midway through replacing the suspension on my 7 *smile*

I'm fitting height adjustable springs/shocks and changing the "arb is part of the front wishbone" set up to something that resembles the more modern dedion set up.

I'm also fitting lower profile tyres.

As a result of all this, I'd like to get the car set up - before I exit any roundabouts backwards. (I have experience of doing this the last time I "played" with the suspension)

Can anyone recommend anywhere reasonably local (to fleet in Hampshire) and give me an idea of what I should be paying.

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

I've got SF's old kit (it only does corner-weights, not alignment or anything), but I don't have a guaranteed flat floor to use it on at the moment Steve. You're welcome to have a go with it though if you'd like.

With that in mind, you might be best off going to somewhere that's going to be able to set things up for you properly (Micheldever would be my recommendation - they know their stuff and do quite a few sevens). I don't know how much they charge I'm afraid.

I briefly tried setting up Steve F's kit in my garage, using shims underneath the scales and it seemed to work quite well, but I would want to have something as a baseline before I trusted it (and my garage floor).

I've just started upgrading from the 8 x analogue scales to a pair (hopefully to become a quartet) of mains-powered 200KG scales, with remote displays. The theory is to be able to have a drive-on system with readouts next to the drivers side, so that you can read the weights and put them into the spreadsheet, while you're in the car *thumbup*

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 18 Feb 2008 12:26:21

*tongue*

Sure can. We could have some BlatChat corner-weighting evenings for those who want a free checkup.

The scales are on their way over at the moment, and I've asked the chap I bought them from if he can source two more.

I'd better have a session with the floor-levelling compound in the meantime. Watch this space..

Darren E

Superlight R #54

I've a full set of proper Intercomp computer scales and leveling pads, two lengths of 3" ali box section (approx 4m and 6m long - needed to set up the floor pads), and home made wooden ramps to get on to the scales.

I've also the non digital alignment gauge here

I bought the kit at the same time as my car with intentions to enter racing, but family came along (I don't regret at all 😬) and I've yet to try/use them... mainly 'cos I don't know how too 😳.

I've kept this fairly quiet as I'm fully aware that this kit is very expensive, so I don't want to loan it out. However I may be up for a day's local flat floor set-up if;-

i. We've a suitable venue with undercover set-up space.

ii. Parking for 7's and tin-tops/trailers (I for one can't transport the above kit in my 7) - I'm sure we'll get loads of interest too.

iii. A guy who knows how to use the kit and will teach me.

iv. Any breakages caused will be replaced without charge to me.

I've also a copy of the infamous Steve Foster excel spreadsheet too.

Once we have a bod (I'll add details of the scales in the next few days) who know how to use the kit we'll need a session at my place to see if it all works (it was nearly new/2nd hand when I bought it). Then we can gauge interest and find a suitable venue.

Cheers,

Andy

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car 😬

Gary May at Freesyle Motorsport is not too far away and what he does'nt know about setting up a 7 is not worth knowing

Mark, I completely agree with you.

However my "new" suspension is secondhand and I know Gary will tempt me with new shiny stuff I can't afford at the moment.

I just want to get the best out of what I've got.

Anyone got an idea of the cost of a basic flat flooring session?

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

-----Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!-----

Steve:Reckon you'd be looking at just over the £100 mark (here and (a while ago) here)

Andy: Crikey, you're better equipped than some garages! *smile*. A generous offer which I think would be quite popular. Finding a venue might be the tricky part - it'd be useful if someone in the area on the list had access to a large warehouse or similar. I'm sure there must be a few racers on here who'd be able to impart the necessary knowledge.

Darren E

Superlight R #54

Hi, I enquired about flat flooring my car today with Brett at Cat Mids and he quoted me £ 175-00 incl of VAT. Takes ages apparently . I need to do it cos I've changed to Toyo's from Avons and the ride height is miles different.

Hi to Andy by the way....when are we doing that bloody article!! 😬

Martin - Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on it *cool* If we have more than one doing the set-up we may get through more than 2 cars in the day.

I haven't managed to dig out the scales to get the details/type yet (large boxes burried in the garage at the mo).

Hi Neil,

What article 😳 😬. I previously (few months ago) sent you some emails but they kept bouncing back undelivered, even those replying to yours? I haven't done anything other than kept meaning to forward some pics for Low Flying's fridge door.

Cheers,

Andy

The scale kit I have is an 'Intercomp SW II' as bottom of page here

The pic doesn't show the adjustable scale bases.

I've also got hold of a pdf instruction manual.

Martin,

Do you fancy a trial at my place some day soon?

Cheers,

Andy

Can't keep quiet on this one... *smile*

"I need to do it cos I've changed to Toyo's from Avons and the ride height is miles different. "

i don't think you need to re-do if it was done before. Changing the ride height of the car does not affect CW - assuming you have the same profile tyres on at least the same axle = good practise.

Changing the rake - i.e. putting higher profile tyres on the back or raising the ride height at the front does not affect the CW's. The latter may make the car a pig under braking though.

CW is simply the pressure each wheel excerts on the ground. Bigger wheels / tyres on one end does not change the pressure = CW's.

Changing the spring heights on an individual corner or moving weight in car does change CW's.

All you can do is change the pressure across the diagonal pairs.

Best to set it up with the rake you like (15-20mm for a De Dion in my experience) and

then if you weigh 75-85 Kgs say add about 7-10mm more height = pressure on the RR corner. You only need to change one corner - unless that 10mm throws out your ride heights too much in which case put 5mm on the RR and 5mm LF. This will stop the LF locking up under braking. Choose a wet bit of flat tarmac to try it out and test your self to nice even lockups.

I reckon you would then be ball park. This is after having played around and done countless (well almost) 7's 😬

As all roads and tracks are not really flat it's all a compromise.

I found I needed to add a turn or two on one side (I choose the front) to get even braking going in to Druids.

Then put it back again for Lydden hill (the Devils elbow) - ah them were the days!

Hope that is of help.

Edited by - stevefoster on 24 Feb 2008 02:20:14

Hi Steve F *wavey* Very useful (even tho not directed at me, if you don't mind I'll take note and use anyway) *thumbup* Thanks.

Do you have default settings for CW, ride heights, camber, alignment etc for dry-sumped 2.0Vx De-Dion, with FIA bar, 13inch wheels, slim driver *tongue*

I'm intending to record readings before we start making changes so if I screw up I can put them back, but having some rule of thumb targets to compare will be useful.

Martin and I have set a date (in March) to set up my 7 using my CW kit and alignment gauge. He's bringing his camber gauge. Once we've done this to prove the kit works (and more importantly I know how to use it correctly) I can see about a ReHab CW session.

My CW needs doing as my car has gone through significant changes since it's original racing days, most adding weight (change roll bar, seats) or at least shifting it around.

Cheers,

Andy *cool*