Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yokohama AO21 or Toyo R888

Bio

Must bin the old ZV1 185 60 R14 tyres after the interesting Boxing day Blat

Whats the best alternative for primarily road use in all weathers ?

Has anyone tried Yoko AO21 or Toyo R888 Soft or Medium compound in 185 60 R14

John *wavey*

Yoko's every time.

Polleys had no 021's in that size before Christmas, if you wish to pay a premium for them DT's list them as 'In Stock'. Let me know if you manage to get some as i'll have some money again soon and tyres for the Seven are top of the list.

Ashley Webster.

1400 Supersport forever !

John

I did loads of miles on AO21's in my old car and found them great and would definately recomend them, never driven anything with R888's so cannot compare. Based on comments the latter are a bit softer so perhpas not as good all round, esp in the wet with the tread pattern.

Alan

PS I think tyre choice was academic on boxing day they all slide on sheet ice!

Have tried 13" A021 and 14" R888 and would go Toyo every time if those are the two choices. Sorry if that makes it less than clear cut. The sidewall construction gives excellent ride quality on the seven which can get overlooked if you do a lot of road miles.

Word of caution - they throw considerably more stones than the ZV1 so get ready for more stone chips on the outside edges of the rear wings.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

Hi John

think for your use A021's would be ideal all rounder *thumbup*

You will notice newer tyres make all the differance *wink*

As Alan said for Yokohama try Adams and Page

Tried R888's *thumbup* Great tyres *thumbup* for mainly summer use .

A048's great i have done lots of miles and 🥰 *thumbup*

let me know how you get on 😬

see you at Penn 😬

Mark *wavey*

Car Webshots Here

Edited by - markiebabes on 12 Jan 2008 22:27:59

Never tried A021s, but had Toyo T1R before fitting R888s.

I've been on the R888s, in all weathers, since August til I took it off the road a few weeks ago (MOT time)...and would definetly recommend them.

I've had them in Snow (Top of the Stelvio pass) and torrential rain during a thunderstorm in Geneva (Having just driven straight there from London). I'm talking hood up, wipers full pitch, bouncing rain. I have always been impressed.

Don't let the Toyo's tread pattern put you off...they work better in the wet than you'd think. Only thing to note is, as with any similar tyre (A048 etc), they can let go on you when they're cold.

Never tried A021s, but had Toyo T1R before fitting R888s.

How were the T1R's?

People keep going on at me about the R888's, but I've just heard/read too many stories about them and standing water - and after a week of driving in the rain on flooded roads I think I'll be giving them a wide birth.

Like John I need to replace my ZV3, we were chatting about it on Tuesday, but I can't see the point of putting track day tires on a car that isn't going to do any track days, and the T1r seems to be the solution...

I think Angus and Tessa are worth asking for their opinion between A021 and A048, better still go to their website (mycaterham.com). Angus is quite complementary of the A048 in the wet over the A032 (no longer available in 185/60 R14), he says that anything would have been better than his Pilots and I'd agree, anything better than ZV3. I think they are dangerous in the wet at ANY speed. I now have A048.

BRG and Yellow nose VU06 XZX

I have never had Yokos but I have been running R888 185/60 14s for 2 years. They have never scared me in the wet but I do drive sensibly in those conditions. I have done about 7000 miles on them and they have just passed the MOT last week.

I will definitely replace them with the same.

When they are fully warmed up they do fling a lot of grit into the car!

Like any tyre the warmer they are the more grip they provide but they still grip remarkably well when cold.

Finally they look sexier then the 021s!

Bertfatal

I would like to hear more anout the Toyo T1R. I have Avon ZZ1' on 16' HPC wheels and they are OK but I never feel i have the same grip that I used to have on 21's in my old car. (New car is heavier and has more power so thats also a factor)

I also have a set of 15' Dymag wheels, the rears have Toyo T1R on them and the grip was really good but not sure if that was the tyre or a function of width - they were 225/50 on the rear, front were 205/50 with some old yoko's.

I am considering getting these refurbed but not sure what tyre to go for - clearance for 205/50 under the front wings is very tight so I suspect some brands/models will not fit.

Any thoughts anyone?

Alan

I have never had Yokos but I have been running R888 185/60 14s for 2 years. They have never scared me in the wet but I do drive sensibly in those conditions. I have done about 7000 miles on them and they have just passed the MOT last week.

Cool, thats the first time I have actually seen some real mileage, I've heard guesstimates from people who use them on the track/road at 3000 miles, I commute in my car and don't want to buy 4 sets a year:) But what do you mean by "wet", do you mean damp or proper rain like we have for the past week? Spend some time time googling and there are a lot of reports about people having accidents in the rain on R888.

Are the ZV3 really that bad in the wet, mine dealt really well with standing water on the M4 last week...

I found ZV3 tyres very bad in the wet, but tyre grip is very subjective.

These tyres would certainly last 100k in a Seven as they are that hard.

I had a few brown trouser moments in Germany when it was raining, not damp, and once left the road on a bend.

The grip of A048 in the dry is fantastic and I cant imagine them to be worse than Zv3 as I drove slowly and still had no grip.

BRG and Yellow nose VU06 XZX

When you hear of people having accidents in the wet on R888's or A048's then you need to ask what speed were they driving at, what exactly were the conditions, what caused the accident, what were the tyre pressures set at, etc etc.

Just because someone had an accident doesn't mean the tyre is at fault.

From reports I have heard tyre pressusres are really critical when using these tyres, especially ion the wet, and it seems R888's are more critical than others. Run at suitable pressures there should be no problem.

I haven't tried R888's yet but run Yoko A048's in all weathers and have never had a scary moment in the wet. I run mine around 15psi and I drive sensibly in the wet. I have used them on a damp trackday and once they are warm they give plenty of grip in damp conditions.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

When you hear of people having accidents in the wet on R888's or A048's then you need to ask what speed were they driving at, what exactly were the conditions, what caused the accident, what were the tyre pressures set at, etc etc.

Valid point but but the warning on the manufactures website make me wonder:

--

Careful attention is required in wet conditions due to limited aquaplaning abilities.

--

I'm sure that the R888 is a great track day tire and can deal with damp conditions, but Friday when I hit huge pool of standing water on the M4, how would they behave compared to the ZV3 - I understand that the ZV3 is made from cast iron so is a poor tyre for a Seven, but comparing the tread patten of the R888/ZV3 surely the ZV3 would deal with standing water better?

Which is why I think for a number of people here who don't do track days, or even drive their Seven particularly hard, the T1R maybe a good option - I just have yet to see any feedback from someone who actually has some:)

I agree with Simon *thumbup*

From reports I have heard tyre pressusres are really critical when using these tyres, especially ion the wet, and it seems R888's are more critical than others. Run at suitable pressures there should be no problem.

I have tried different pressures untill they felt right, R888 and A048's ran 15psi seemed about right *thumbup* even in wet weather on the way to Swiss international trip last year (as John knows) the A48's preformed well, just have to be aware of conditions and drive accordingly 😬 eg: standing water *eek*

Any car at speed will have a problem with standing water

Mark *wavey*

Car Webshots Here

Edited by - markiebabes on 13 Jan 2008 11:51:53

I don't believe any tyre will perform well on a se7en in standing water. I was caught in torrential rain in Chamonix last year when I happened to have a set of A021's fitted and the car still aquaplaned at relatively low speeds.

On my first 7 I had Continental Sport Contacts fitted, a fairly typical road tyre and again they were no better in a standing water situation.

The car is just too light to cut through the water. Hell, even my Volvo V70 which weighs a fair bit, fitted with tyres designed for the wet is pretty hairy in a standing water situation.

There is only one way to deal with standing water, take it easy.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

As regards the T1R...I had them fitted for about a year, driving the car every day, and not slow 😬...loved them.

Then I fitted R888s and love them even more.

As Simon says, the argument against most sticky tyres (R888s, A048s) is standing water; but if you're hitting standing water at 90mph...you're a bit of a balloon anyway.

I found the T1Rs nice and progressive, they don't just let go and laugh at you. Pretty good grip in the dry, slightly slippy in the damp/wet if pushing on and they wear well.

However, I found the R888s to be even better if every circumstance. In the dry they're ubsurdly good, in the damp/wet they're better than the T1R (They are softer and get warmer), and they don't wear too bad. I've done about 5000miles on them so far, and I'm fond of getting the tail out.

To be honest, I don't think the tyre will make all that much of a difference when hitting standing water in a Se7en. I'd say it's more to do with the attitude of the car. Most occasions can be avoided...the rest you just shut your eyes and keep her straight *wink*

OK, thanks:)

There are a lot of posts here about people thinking of fitting T1r, but none that I could find of people reporting back how they got on...

I guess I should give the R888 a try, if I don't get on with them I guess someone here would be happy to take them off my hands:)

but if you're hitting standing water at 90mph...you're a bit of a balloon anyway.

I learnt my lesson on Friday when I did just that and water under pressure came up under the door and armrest and soaked me:)

As I said to both John and Daniel on Tuesday , I have 21s and I love them and their are perfectly suited to the way I use the car (95% road) Only probleme I was told they are no longer in production except in 185/70/13, can anyone confirm?

FWIW I had 3 sets of 21s on my car over a couple of years, used in all weathers and never had any trouble. I have just worn out what I guess are the world's last set of 13" 32s and had the *eek* experience of aquaplaning on the M3 when I treated them as if they were 21s. This week I hope to have a set of R888s and will be interested to see how they compare.