Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wipe on, wipe off....

Red SLR

I have now got a 4-2-1 stainless exhaust for my 7, the problem is it needs a good polishing.

I spent about 2 hours on it tonight but I am still not happy with the effect, is there any way of speeding up the process? A drill has come to mind but I cant find anywhere that sells the polishing bits.

I am using Autosol at the moment, is there anything better?

Thanks

Simon.

X777CAT

Julians,

Couldn't disagree more! Once clean and polished it is very easy to manitain; just keep polishing. By far the worst aspect is the constant grit blasting of the tailpipe by the front wheels! Actually, it only gets better with polishing.

I start off with 600 wet and dry and finish with 1200 - plenty of soapy water. Dry off and then Solvol.

Steve B

Had mine professionally polished by a metal polishing firm in Darwin (Lancs). They also polish the tail pipes for the new jag and have done AC cobras and alike. Very good job. Took a few days and cost around £100 for just the main section, I think. Haven't got the number to hand but they were in the yellow pages. After 2K miles still looks a little brown but still good, with 'very occasional' autosol polishing. If you're interested I can try and find the tel. no.

Scott

X5 SER

Had mine done by an 'good' friend. Very generous of him too.

It was literally mirror and looked pretty good during the running in period (550miles or so).

1 x rolling road sectrion later with the headers glowing cherry red after sustained 6000 RPM mapping + the power runs up to 8,000 saw them go a bronze colour. Rather fetching.

Now look pretty much as they do on most cars!

• Area Representative

Had my 4 into 1 system polished by Classic Carriage Co when I built the car 5 years ago. Not sure about the cost now but it was £45 + VAT then and signing a cheque was a lot easier than getting the polishing rags out....

Nick

Edited by - Nick Chan on 24 Apr 2002 19:54:11

i polished my jpe system at work using mops and cutting wax, not a very fun job, suggest you take to a pro polisher as suggested above, after polishing when you wash car try alloy wheel cleaner,mousse, but wash off after short while as it is an acid solution. my exhaust is still as polished as 5000 miles ago.

Scott, I live about 10mins from Darwin, I think I know the place you mean. Is it near the town center?

I think I will have a go myself first. I spent a couple of hours the other night with Autosol and it improved the finnish a lot so a couple of hours with mops should see it sorted.

Where are you in Lancs?

X777CAT

Simon,

I'm in Hale Barns, Cheshire so not quite Lancs but on the border. The place was indeed close to the town centre. As you approach the town from the bolton direction, it was right at 'The Park' pub or inn and then down the hill. Very easy to find hence I did not keep the dirctions or number etc. and paid cash!

X5 SER

EASY EASY EASY,

go to a local car body shop/or supplier ask for scotch pads (they are a fine abrasive pad that they use for car repairs, around £10 for 10) use scotch pad and autosolve/peek metal polish-not too much hard work, then autosolve/peek on it's own.

BINGO SHINEY EXHAUST!!!

Martin

MW 51 CAT

Right

I've found it.

My exhaust was a bit messy. I had an R500 silencer welded on and then I rounded the edges down. System looked good but very patchy with muck and various tarnish shades and colours. Went and saw a fabricator fellow friend of mine who took a pink pot of goo out of a cabinet and painted my system. 5 minutes later he washed it off. Hey presto no more tarnish. It's acid based and must only be used on stainless steel. It's very nasty stuff and if it touches your paint work, say bye bye to it. It also messes with your bone structure if taken internally.

One 10 minute polish with duraglit and you have a bran new stainless system. It has now been run very hot and has a bronze sheene fading to silver stainless. Very nice

If anyone is interested I'll get the name of the stuff and post it.

Andy Mac

teeth.gif Team Langoustine. Hard Core Prawn. See you at LeHoux teeth.gif

• Area Representative

Allegro,

I would be interested in the name of the stuff, not sure about the bone structure bit or the paintwork but it sounds ideal!

Cheers

Nick smile.gif

It's called POLINOX-P RAPID Hydroflouric + nitric acid. NICE

Commonly known in the welding trade as PICKLING PASTE and can be got from any weld shop.

I cannot endorse this enough. It has stripped all marks off my exhaust from where the primaries come thru the body to the front of the silencer. I also did the exit pipe. Then give it a good wash down. Make sure you clean it all off. Rub with duraglit silver. Then another wash down. 20 minutes work. It takes longer to dry the exhaust after washes than it took to clean. And I mean spotless.

Make sure you put a barrier between the system and you car body, cause it will lift the paint on your car before it lands on it.

Please be careful with it. Breath it in and you'll wake up looking like the elephant man.

Andy Mac

Right slight change. Do not use Duraglit after acid. Use Auto Glym metal polish. 10 minutes work and I can see my face in it. Reflection not too pretty but the exhaust is, can't stop goin to the garage.

Andy Mac