Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bicycle Rack!

Ferrino

OK, so I'm planning a Euro road trip in the 7 for August (heading towards Alps & Croatia and hopefully returning via the 'Ring) and I would like to take my road bike as I want to do some of the famous French Alp mountain climbs like Alpe d'Huez, Galibier etc... when I stop near Grenoble. I'm not taking a passenger.

I was thinking of ways to mount the bike and was considering using the nylon clamps I used to mount the radiator - they are like ARB mounting clamps and come in various sizes. Was thinking of putting one clamp on each of the FIA bar struts, and then welding a short leg onto each clamp, which would then attach to a 2nd clamp which goes around the bike frame somewhere. That's a rubbish description, but I think you know what I mean! I guess the wheels could then sit in the passenger seat area. I guess I could even ditch the passenger seat, but it would be nice to take people out in it while over there.....

Edit: these are the clamps I'm on about.

If anyone has done this before, or has any advice, I'd be interested to hear! THANKS 😬

Edited by - Ferrino on 28 Jun 2007 12:24:29

Haven't done it, but a "gutter" type bike rack across the spare wheel holder should work...?

If you've a full rollcage (which I guess you haven't), a rear wheel clamp/strap on the rear rollbar and a "fork quick release clamp" on the front part.

Edited by - Graeme Smith on 28 Jun 2007 13:19:27

Quite often strap my road bike to the bar but not done such distances with it like that. I use some pipe lagging to protect the FIA bar and then strap straight onto that. You can position it so that you keep the rear wheel of the bike in place and then can strap the front wheel to the bike frame.

Chris

If I remember, there was a picture of a 7 with two bikes attached to the roll bar, in one of the old Low Flyings, looked very neat. I will try to dig it out and describe it to you. I guess a full roll cage set up would be ideal for this sort of thing.

I need to look into doing this, but in the mean time, I got excellent service and a very good price on a roof rack bar system, with 2 bike carriers for the ZT-T from this place:

here

- obviously for tin-tops, but might be useful to someone viewing this thread.

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

101,000 miles car

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread now that road trip time is fast approaching and I have only just got round to trying to mount my bike. Added complication is that I now have a second bike to mount! HERE is a piccy of my bike strapped to the rollbar, with some nice titanium-coloured pipe lagging from Wilko's and some straps. Just need to get a second one on there and a couple of wheels!!!

If any of you guys managed to find electronic versions of those images you mentioned I would be interested to see them! I was just going to slap some kind of padding betwixt bike frames.

Thanks!

Yamaham @ Keevil

You could get a bike bag as used by serious cyclists to take on planes etc. A bit tidier than your arrangement, more secure and safer (no bits to fall off, catch on travellers etc.

Will not do a lot for the Cd though...not so much a brick as a brickwall 😬

I strapped a very heavy Specialized Enduro to the back of my 7 last weekend - it must weigh in excess of 35lbs, so I'm sure two well strapped together lightweight roadbikes would not be a problem. I used the same Wilko foam lagging you described and it's perfect as padding around the main tubes of the bike and is dense enough not to deform. As added support I turned the saddle through 90 degrees to hook over the top of the roll bar - with both bikes arranged like this, it should make for quite a secure bodge job!

I'm thinking about speaking to a local metal fabricator about manufacturring a basic rack to clamp onto the FIA struts. There could be a market for a limited production run I feel!

White 1400 SS, 6speed + LSD *cool* here

You've got an aero . .. . .well why not just put a rollcage on and mount the bikes on top of that *confused* One each side, upright, facing forward . . . dead simple no?

And as luck would have it, I've got an old roadsport rollcage in my shed - I could even be persuaded to part with it for not a huge amount of dosh.

Did you try removing the seat & post, and the rear wheel and spinning it 180 degrees so that the handle bars pointed down on the off side? That may be less obtrusive to you as driver.

The Stelvio is quite a beautiful ride as well, provided the road isn't too overburdened w/ tourists pulling caravans etc.

Weren't you coming our way? ISTR you mentioning a move to San Diego some time ago.

-------

Chris

Ad majorem 7 gloriam

Thanks guys! Will try some more configurations when I get the other bike - the 180 degree rotation sounds like a possibility. Thanks for the rollcage offer, but sounds overkill for a short trip and wouldn't have time to fit anyway.

Chris, yes I'm moving to San Diego - was hoping to be there already but got delayed with work and am now arriving in early November - cannot wait! Remind me where you are please?

Yamaham @ Keevil

I often carry my bike on the back of the seven, I mase up a rack when I tool the spare wheel carrier off, it slips into the two tube stubs which I left in place then bolts into the old wheel centre bolt. will fit either MTB or my road bike, you have to take the wheels off first then the font forks clip into a dummy axle (just by the right fog light) and the bike BB clamps down to the rack, wheels fit either side of the bike frame. The whole thing keeps the bike fairly low (not much above tonneau) height

I had a similar rack for 2 bikes but use that very little now, that one needed to be braced to the roll bar due to the weight

Simon

Chris, yes I'm moving to San Diego - was hoping to be there already but got delayed with work and am now arriving in early November - cannot wait! Remind me where you are please?

I'm in the northern part of L.A., close® to the tracks (7s) *smokin* and the riding (bicycle) in the San Gabriel mountains. Do not forget to bring your bike when you move - S.D. is great cycling country, year round. *cool*

-------

Chris

Ad majorem 7 gloriam