Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cycle Wings..What is the best way to attach.

stevethemook

Hi ,

On the way back from Le Mans my cycle wing came loose. 😳.used a tyrap or two to fix.

Now Ive bought some Big Head fasteners but cant decide whether to use the Fibre Glass method of fixing or use the Sicaflex glue.

It looks though Simon (the previous owner) went down the big head route but only on one wing (which stayed on and It looks like fibre glass..and looks firm ).

How has anybody been finding the glue over the last couple of years.

Ta

Steve

Novice in a Nova Violet Brute.S777 XTC

I had read on here a few people have had big head's fail, where the wire is welded to the base, so before I fitted mine I got a friend to silver solder over the weld as it did look a little patchy on a couple of them, been on a year and a half with no probs, I just used Tiger seal to attach them. make sure you roughen or 'key' the wing first and clean with something like Panel wipe so its spotlessly clean and free from grease *thumbup*

'Pinky Pics' here

I lost a wing and as a result a windscreen the first day I had the car resulting in a £350 bill. Glued the new wing back on with Sikaflex - came loose 2 years later. The wings are now bolted on with alun key flange button headed bolts here, which I think looks fine, although some think it's not very nice. But I'm willing to forego aesthetics for peace of mind of knowing they’ll stay on.

Tim

If you use sikaflex you need to made sure it's the correct type. Can't recall swhich number but a search will find it. Using the wrong type will lead to failure.

My wings have been secure for the last 2 years 5,000 miles using bigheads/sikaflex/ty-wraps.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

In the last 17 years I have used both the bolt on on glue on big head method on mine. The latter method with the big heads and adhesive has given me fewer problems since I started to use it *thumbup*

Bolts are fine, but I have found that cracks usually appear in the GRP near the bolts after a while no matter what type you use

Correct, use 292 and you'll have no problems (but it is expensive). Sikaflex is only a brand, they make many different sealants and adhesives - I guess that is why you'll hear of failures. I cannot believe that if you prep the surface and use 292 that the bond would fail - it is strong stuff *thumbup* Mine have been on for 3 years - no problems so far and plenty of trackdays to test them at high speed.

Now 291 on the other hand is not a good adhesive and probably wouldn't last much more than a week.

I attached mine with TigerSeal direct onto the wing stays. The front steering/suspension has been stripped and replaced and the car sent back to Arch for a reskin with them still attached to the wingstays. They show no signs of coming adrift.

Tigerseal gets a *thumbup* from me.

Green Gold Gobbler **Updated** Photos

If you're going the Bighead route, while the wings are off consider slipping some heat-shrink tubing over the stays. I left it a little long, spooted a blob (technical terminology learned watching NASCOWR 'racin)of rubberized waterproofing on the end and shrunk away. Not that it's critical, but it works great for vibration isolation and a little vertical compliance.

-------

Chris

Ad majorem 7 gloriam

Thanks for all the comments.

Having a bit of a problem getting Sikaflex 292..Chandlers only have 291 which is a no no.

Will order via the web ..

Did anybody use the Sikaflex Primer as its blinking expensive stuff but if its going to stop me headbutting the wing then Ill use it..

Thanks

Steve

Northerner in a Nova Violet Brute.S777 XTC

Mine were bonded when I first had the car, one of mine only came off because I walked into the car in switzerland in the dark! loosened it, which I forgot about then it came off over the start finish straight at Snetterton at about a ton!

the Sikaflex was still attached to the wing, but the powdercoat had come off the wingstay

I have heard some people grind the powdercoating off before bonging wings to the stays.

'Pinky Pics' here

I had the same problem as Blade runner, it was the powdercoating/rust on the wingstay that came adrift. I stripped of the last of the coating, used the Sika primer and 292 (around £40 including postage *eek*) and it still only lasted 2 years. So I went for the certainty of bolts at £4.