Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which LSD for a circa 200 BHP k?

CageyH

This has probably been done before, but should I gpo for a Quaiffe, a ZF, A Kaaz, a Tran-X.

Use will be mainly road, but the intention is to sprint in the near future, so kerb hopping may happen.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

I've got one of the CC lsd, which I'm sure comes from Road & Race. Frankly, it's so good that I wouldn't even know it was on the car, in normal road use. No trans. backlash or shunt, quiet and no push on understeer. It just works - great. Thoroughly recomended. Around £750 I think.

Paul J.

Loud pipes save lives, but quiet ones save your hearing.

The CC supplied ones need to go to R&R to be altered to the spec mentioned above. Some people never get them to work properly in standard form. You can check the preload easily enough jacking up a rear wheel and using a torque wrench. Standard are usually 60lbft preload which is usually enough to make a Caterham push straight on. (Paul, If you've got one that works, I'm not suggesting you alter it.)

For a Numpty can someone go back to basics on this as I overheard a coversation at a trackday about the LSD possibly contributing to understeer while I was a Bedford autodrome last Friday - suffering from very frustrating amounts of understeer *confused*

I have whatever diff was supplied with a 2004 R400 - it seems to suffer from high speed (80mph+) understeer even after trying various damper settings (Nitrons), front roll bar settings (Freestyle adjustable) and tyre pressure combinations - is it the lsd that maybe contributing to this under power and is so what do I need to do to dial it out?

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here

Well yes, 'of course' it's contributing to understeer. The whole point of a 'free' diff is to allow the two driven-wheels to rotate at different speeds as you corner. Your LSD is resisting this - it wants to go in a straight-ish line - hence the understeer.

Having had some recent (and virgin) autotest experience in an LSD 7, perhaps some investigation into weight-transfer and application of the right-foot might suffice... *wink*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

*thumbup* I put a Quaife ATB in my 220 bhp car and it is fantastic.. suggest you talk to Len if he can get you a discount.. make sure you get the 7 spec one.. though I know Len will keep you right.

One of the Duratectives

I thought Quaiffe were a no no if you intended to use the car on track, due to kerb hopping etc
That's what Phil told me! But then ZF diffs seem to have become unavailable anyway! 😔 Edited to add that I've been on a R & R 'waiting list' for months now!

I'll be interested in other opinions!!

G for Geoff here

Edited by - GTD on 10 Apr 2007 12:59:16

I've had a quaiffe in my SV for about a year now. It works good. No extra noise or driveline shunt and was both cheaper than a ZF, and available! I can't really comment on reliablility or ability to handle big power as I dont' curb hop much on track (explains my slow times in the sprint series maybe) and I've only had 140bhp up to now.

But.. I belive an RST V8 is running a quiaffe with no problems...