Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rebuild the X/F or go Zetec??

Clay Head

My 1800 X/F is in serious need of a rebuild which I can only guess may cost me anywhere between £2-£3K if I want to get aoround 170 BHP out of it. Now the question is would I be better to look at a Zetec conversion. If I lay my hands on a low milage engine from a write-off for, say, £400, can anyone throw some advice my way in terms of the best route to install. It would be nice to talk to somebody who has been through this process if possible.

Thanks............Tim

Edited by - Clay Head on 20 Feb 2002 17:40:09

I have mailed you a cost breakdown of my Zetec swap - which is nearly finished....

I went for a new engine from Ford, so swap out that cost for the price you could get one and it should be nearly there. I went for all my bits from Raceline, the quality is very very good and worth the extra in my opinion.

On top of that add the cost of a set of Kent cams and you would have around 180bhp I would guess.

So far mine just sits and idles like a dream whilst I finish the suspension re-build so can't comment on driving it yet...

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running wink.gif

I have converted to Zetec over the winter from an approx 160 ish HP 1800 x-flow.

Total cost including cams (should give 180 - 185 bhp) and engine (£150 write off) approx £2700. I used mainly Jame Whiting parts and there were no major hitches.

Only done about 100 miles so far but the driving experience is very different and I have to say very pleasant. There is no hesitation or spitting, runs at 1500 rpm in 5th and is very quiet.

Paul

Forgot to say.... I think it might depend on your driving style/type you do.. yet to see how peaky the Zetec is, but I don't think it is that sort of engine - more torque than buzzy top end. I like to tour in mine as well as blat, so relaxed driving was important, otherwise bike engine maybe... ?

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running wink.gif

Re-built my own xflow in October. Showed 135-140 at the wheels. Cost including re-bore, forged pistons, new cam - around £1400 - no labour though, as I did it with the help of a mate.

Only issue with power around the 200 mark is it must be getting on the limit of the live axle.

Richard Larkham did a 2 litre Zetec conversion from a 1600GT in about 1995 - cost him about 3K but he had to buy carbs etc as well. His engine cost about £700 back then, and the cobversion was a little more trendy so now I reckon wit could be done for around £2k. The advent of TB injection also means there are plenty of cheap sets of 45's to be had.

It makes a very torquey setup on twin 45's which pulls strongly across the whole rev range. I would recommend this as the best swap for a X-Flow unless you have a newer universal chassis which can take the VX.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Tim,

Re-build the x-flow!!

Have you actually had it apart yet to inspect the condition? I'm willing to bet that it's not as bad as you think, and the cost of re-furbishment to a good standard will be far less than £2000-£3000. If the cylinder compression is low it will be because the bores have worn allowing the rig gaps to open, hence causing blow-by. Your pistons may well be quite serviceable. I'm assuming you have an AX block which may go to an 86mm piston, or even 86.5 so you could sell your old ones to offset the price of a new set. Crank grinding is not that expensive, nor is head refurbishment.

Dave Brooks in Crewe can do all this for you at a very reasonable rate. Highly recommended, and not a million miles from where you are.

Chris.

Tim:

It all depends....

What are your needs?

The X-flow offers bags of character, and in a high state of tune is a great peformer, though it will be stressed, and shorter lived than the more modern zetec. The X-flow is classic and its bark warms your soul.

The zetec with carbs, new cams, and 3D ignition offers more horsepower, lower maintainance, and at 200 hp is bomb proof. If you need to go the distance with little time for feddling, it may be the better choice.

Either way will bring you miles of smiles!

Michael

X-flow equipt Yankee

Thank you all for your comments. Unfortunately I happen to agree with all of you!! I do love the character of my X/F but (in the words of my older, wiser, Caterham Guru) have 2 out of 10 when it comes to engineering skills. The prospect of almost fit and forget simplicity is a draw. However I think I will first get the old beast in bits and actaully assess costs, pros and cons, etc once I am certain of what would be needed to rebuild. Thanks again.

Hi

If you can, keep with your X flow, your car will stay original.

From my point of view, you can do any upgrade with an original basis.

All our car are a part of the Caterham history which is a part of the Lotus history

Phil

I'm going to talk to Dave Brooks and see what's what on Saturday. If I can keep the job low cost I'll stick with the X/F for now. If not I'll be in touch. Who knows, it might become valuable in, say, 200 years!! Bit big for a safe deposit box though......

Hi Phil - I didn't recognise the Welsh call sign!

I went to J&J and they did a leak test on each cylinder. Number 1 was at 75%and the others at 55%!! My suspicions confirmed unfortunately. The air came out via the carbs so it could be mainly down to valves not seating correctly but given the milage I would expect bore wear. Not being that knowledgable I look forward to inspecting it! See you Wednesday