Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Flywheel-light or heavy versions

RiF

I drove mine this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks. I have 2.0 litre with BGH in alloy main case, ultralightweight flywheel, AP clutch, raceline short bellhousing, std prop, std diff, bottom end fully balanced............

My box is as quiet as a mouse, I can`t even hear it, the diff makes a bit of noise but nothing to worry me.

However, all the intense listening this morning has made me aware of another rattle, which I`m fairly certain is engine related.........further investigation required this evening. It sounds like a tinkly rattle, like something is loose somewhere..... *thumbdown*

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RiF: Engines are 2.0L, stock internals. My diff is a 3.62 (to the best of my knowledge - see previous comments about dealer issues over here) w/ an MBE ECU. I believe the mapping was done by SBD as the fellow who sold me the car & engine couldn't map the street in front of his house, and my car runs like a raped ape, particularly at the upper end of the tach.

Sorry about the late response. I got stuck while traveling back to Canada yesterday.

-------

Chris

Blatus quo

Thanks Chris but is it a LSD by ZF?

Simon, that is a bit like the noise we think is gearbox? Perhaps it is the same but really comes from somewhere else? Let us know when you find it. Also what is your diff?

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Edited by - RiF on 17 Aug 2006 18:37:55

Interesting comment about is it the diff or gearbox, when I had the problem with reverse on my gearbox everyone (including Brian/Chris from BGH) agreed that it sounded like it was coming from the diff but Brian also pointed out that it's quite common for vibration and noise to be transmitted up and down the propshaft so the thing that appears to be making the noise may not actually be making it. Hence they took a look at the gearbox (I'd already had the diff out and checked) and found the problem

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

My diff is a std 3.92

I think the rattle I have is alternator related, I`ve been having a few problems with squeaky belts and the alternator. I need to investigate over the weekend............

The box is completely quiet on the overrun, occasionally there is a grumble from the diff but I`ve heard this on other non duratec cars as well with other boxes fitted do I think that is the diff and its not frequent enough to be annoying. The box is a little whiny on the power but again nothing more than I would expect when its only seperated from me by a bit of aluminium and carbon fibre.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Thanks Chris but is it a LSD by ZF?

I know it's limited slip. Don't know who made it but I can say that it came to me w/ the anti-roll bar 'grind-out' on the case already done. To me that indicates that CC provided it to the dealer. So, following that line of reasoning (such as it is) the question is: who's diff does CC source?

-------

Chris

Blatus quo

Simon, with that info I still wonder if it is the diff causing the problem for us?

Chris, CC use 2 LSD I think, depending on resources. One is the ZF but I don't know how you tell the difference. Would be very interested to know.

One person is convinced it is the diff???? Noise does travel *confused*

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Richard.. I don't think its a diff problem at all from what a number of us seem to be experiencing ... I've my duratec stripped and am rebuilding. The entire bottom end etc is going to the same place Simes got his balanced. I'll let you know of the outcome post mapping. Simes sounds totally different from mine. His is quiet on over-run.

Mine sounds like rubbing two pieces of dry ali together when off throttle coasting.. ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (noise).

Is the above an accurate description of the problem most are experiencing here?

SV 2.3 Duratec and for the last time, no it is not a truck

Hi Richard,

Sorry for the delay in my response...I've been at a trade show all week and have had little, well really no, internet acess. Anyway, as Chris mentioned my setup is:

2.0L duratec

standard flywheel

stock t-9

3.62 diff

quaife LSD (NOT a ZF) *arrowleft*

Chris and I are also running the longer bellhousing. Simon has the shorter bellhousing so his engine is further back in the chassis. Not sure if this makes any difference, but thought I better mention it.

ELV15 - Tom in California -

200hp duratec powered 2003 Clubsport Build pics here: here

Thanks Chris, that makes 2 without the problem, both without the ZF LSD *confused*

Timbo, be interesting to see if you solve it?

Beong under my car over the weekend I noticed the drive shaft really does transmit noise, nothing would surprise me as to where the noise is coming from?

Mine is nearer a tin of bolts rattle *confused* from the centre of gearbox *confused*

Edited by - RiF on 22 Aug 2006 09:37:36

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

The lightweight flywheel on my CSR260 was changed to the heavier version to reduce driveline noise & shunt and to improve driveability in traffic. There has certainly been an improvement in the former two but the latter is awaiting a further imminent mod to the throttle linkage and remapping. I did not notice any significant change to performance with the heavier flywheel but a significant reduction in a "grinding like " noise emmanating from the whole drive line.

CSR 7 hillclimber