R300 K Series - Foam baffle or not?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Golf Juliet Tango

JP: as 21 Jigsaw lead the Rover team participating in the installation of the K into Caterhams, he is certainly a voice of authority.

But note he is explaining why the foam is there and recounting his own experience. 

Stephen

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty

JP

#12 - many thanks

Geoff Brown
Geoff Brown's picture

#9 - Thirteen years is a long time to run a K Series with the same foam baffle.

When owning a K Series I used to change the foam religiously at a four year point irrespective of mileage. During ownership I changed the foam three times & I can assure you that each baffle was very 'crispy' & discoloured.

Oil saturation & extreme changes in temperature from cold to running hot then any foam would have the appearance I witnessed.

IMO you are pushing the limits of serviceability of the foam baffle & it could not be too long before some of the little crispy bits end up circulating the engine.

7SW
7SW's picture

I did change on 2 years basis the foam for several years, nevers seen any issue with it, clear and flexible.

However I began a little bit concerned with the pan fixing threads, afraid of threads degradation.

I so decided to remove the foam and replace it with a Baffle Hellier (with a modified gasket).

Since, I did several long trips like Grandes Alpes, Morvan, ... I never had any issue with: no trouble with the oil pressure, nothing.

rj
rj's picture

Just fit Time-serts in all the threads. Once done never any problems

tbirds search:

Blatchat Google Search

terryfield
terryfield's picture

My 1999 K has 17k on the clock. Last year the oil pick up was partially blocked by disintegrating foam leading to a dramatic loss in pressure. Fortunately I got away with it and when Classics and Sevens took it in, they simply removed the foam permanently.

The car is used for road use only, no track work.

Terry7

finmac
finmac's picture

Bit of a daft follow up question please. Why does the sump gasket need modified by adding two extra holes? 

Roadsport06
Roadsport06's picture

Oil drains back to the bottom of the sump rather than sitting on the top of the gasket.

Wrightpayne
Wrightpayne's picture

First time I took the sump off I got oil everywhere and yes I did drain it first :-)

The gasket has a wide ledge to block off the spinning parts from the oil (windage) and because of the angle of the engine, oil sits on the ledge.

The two holes simply allow the oil back into the sump. It doesnt 'gain' capacity of oil in the sump as, without the holes, the engine would have been filled to capacity anyway. That said I think it is a good idea to do it.

7SW
7SW's picture

Hello, here are two pics: